Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm starting a repair and restoration on some 60-70 year old oak entrance doors. I am removing some glass panels that someone replaced half of the original wood panels with. I want to go back to wood panels and stain them so they match the originals. Are there panels available for this or do I need to make them myself? Also, some of the trim that holds the panels in place needs replacing, where would I look to match the design? Any tips or ideas would be appreciated regarding every aspect of this project.

Thanks so much and kind regards,

Steve

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
The panels you will have to make or have someone make them for you. I use the same tooling when I'm making the panels for a entry door that I use on cabinet doors so if you have a local cabinet shop perhaps they can make some for you. You may have to get them some wood that is 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" thick as they may only have 3/4" wood in their inventory. If you just want to make them yourself all you would really need is the standard woodworking tools and a panel raise router bit available on ebay.

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
I think for you to be happy with the project you will need to have 16 panels made so they will all be alike. You could get someone to make the panels but the profile on the panels would be different. You can also get someone to exactly match the panels you have but it would cost three four hundred dollars for the tooling. What I would do is take one of the panels out to use as a pattern for you or someone else to make the replacements. It's just a thick board with a design routed on both sides. The real question is do you have the trim that holds the panels in or will you need to replace that also. If that is the case you might just consider having new doors made. The cost of the panels and trim and the work to strip all the old paint off would run pretty expensive.

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
I was about to say new doors might be a better option...
Maybe the paint should be stripped off to see what is under it before any work is done. Often there is some eyesore repair someone painted because they had no other option. You know there is no reason the doors have to have raised panels. A lot of doors were made with flat panels.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Looking at the doors I am going to guess that they belong to a church and MrSteve volunteered to fix them up. I have done similar repair work on several churches with Habitat for Humanity when we were between houses. If it's a church you can almost be certain that they are hurting for funds and an expensive fix like new doors would be out of the question.
Replacement panels can easily be made on a table saw without expensive tooling. The moldings look stock and if not available locally, can be found online at a place like Dykes Lumber who will ship UPS.
If it were me, I would stay away from stripping and scrape off the loose paint and give it a fresh coat of paint. No sanding as it is lead paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts