Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if I can do this, what 1/2 inch router bits will I need? Looking, searching, figure 1/2 bits? stile,rail;but what about for nice panels? throw the thoughts my way.

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
Anytime you get into larger profiles it's better to use 1/2" router bits. The shank on a 1/4" bit is easily bent and all it would take is a blow out with a larger profile to bend the bit ruining it. You might also look on ebay for a set.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys. Bladeburner, there is a lot of stuff I want to buy on the site you gave me... need a few more $$ for some of that LOL

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You can raise panels on the table saw. You really don't get to pick profiles, but it makes a nice arts/crafts style panel. I've done it a couple of times, and still don't like it as much as the router table/profiled bit but it's fairly easy to do and you don't invest in expensive bits.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I bought the Freud set and they're great. The instructions were fantastic so the sizes of your door, styles, rails and panels are all in a formula. One thing not mentioned thus far is your router needs to be a good one with muscles and it also needs to be multi speed because you need to slow down the router with the big panel bits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been running a freud set. As stated before the router needs to be in a table with a fence and must be atleast hp. Most manufactures recommend variable speed so you can drop it down too around 7-10k rpm. Your gonna have to make multiple passes. A lift of some sort will make your life alot easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts