Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently made a checkerboard cutting board using hard maple and purpleheart. after bringing it into the house from shop i can now feel all the joints its like the glue line is raised.don't know why this happened the only thing i can figure is the change in temperature does anyone have any thoughts on this. any advice would be helpful thanks tony e

·
7,222 Posts
I have observed similar issues with differential wood movement in some of my pieces. The difference may not be easy to see, but the fingers are quite sensitive to such differences.

It is not temperature, rather the wood changing to different moisture level between the shop and the house. At this time of year perhaps less moisture in the house than the shop.

Each wood species has potentially different movement for the same moisture change.

If you sand this down, then the moisture changes again, the wood will again move and you will feel the difference.

I have made many projects with combining different species. I notice this more in my turnings.

To illustrate you are not alone, a recent project has some pieces of mahogany glued onto ash. Turned and sanded. No surprise a few days later I can feel the line of the mahogany. I just accept this these days.

Vase_ash_mahogany_other_side_2349.jpg

·
Registered
301 Posts
Because of what Dave said, I find myself always checking my projects once they are inside for movement.

Now I bring the wood inside for a few weeks before I start the project and for something as small as a cutting board, I keep it inside in between making it because I know that eventually that is where it will end up.

It's probably overkill, but I'm somewhat of a worry wart.

Would like to see pics of it :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your input dave i feel alittle better that i'm not alone and that it makes more sense to me now that it ;s moisture causing the movement. it is very dry in the house this time of the year and next time i'll bring the wood inside as noek has said and see the difference thank you guys and soon as i figure out how to send pics i will thank you tony e

·
Registered
404 Posts
Something else to consider is that the glue needs to be fully cured before sanding/final planing or what have you. The glue swells the wood when wet and shrinks when fully dry. If you rush the glue then that could cause similar outcomes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts