Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I wont get into deets about why I did this, but, my order didn't arrive as expected, so I made do with what I had. I built it, so its my responsibility to fix it. Attahed are a few photos, pretty self explanatory, as to what happened.

beds are 1x6's 2 ply's thick, posts are doubled up 2x4's, beds stand about 3' above ground.

Solutions I've thought might work:
eye bolt on the inside of the beds between the middle posts, ratchet them loser then secure with chain or...?

reinforce corners with L bracket underneath.

Please throw me a bone here. Yes, I am a fool, I do not apparently know how to build raised beds. I will learn some hard, and expensive lessons from this build, but please, help me with any suggestion you may have.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,742 Posts
I see 2 issues

The corners are separating and the sides are bowing.
1. I'd fix the corners in either of 2 ways. You can run an angle steel or aluminum on the inside so it won't show or on the outside if that doesn't matter OR you can secure the corners with a 2 x 2 post on the inside.

2. The bowing sides are not so easy to fix. Maybe that's not even important to you? You could run a cable tie or two with a turnbuckle to draw them in OR a threaded rod all the way through with some large washers on the outside. That's what I'd do if it were me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mr. Wood. I will probably go with the 2x2 option as I wont have to remove so much dirt. I do care about the bowing, I'm worried that it will get much much worse if I do not do something about it now. How would you secure the turnbuckle? with hooks & chain?

·
where's my table saw?
28,742 Posts
threaded rod is a better solution ...

..... less hardware, easier to install, but the washers and nuts will show on the outside. A decorative cap could cover them...?
Screw eyes and a cable or a screen door threaded brace would work just bend the ends over.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
No Visible Mechanical Fasteners

If you have good 45's on the pieces, I would remove them and any of the fasteners holding them. Put them back in place, and use bar clamps to pull them into a good fit. You may have to over pull them a bit to allow for some spring back. Pilot and countersink holes to screw them down in place. Once fixed, plug/fill holes and repaint.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In building a raised bed that holds that much soil , needed at least 1 1/2' -2" thick boards.
Threaded rods is a good thought, and just remove the soil in the rod area, if possible.

Those are my thoughts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In building a raised bed that holds that much soil , needed at least 1 1/2' -2" thick boards.
Threaded rods is a good thought, and just remove the soil in the rod area, if possible. Putting a 2 x 4 on the outside vertically to help hold all the boards with the threaded rod going thru it.

Those are my thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts