Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My first post here.

I am building a strawbale house and I've just decided I would like my lounge floor to be raised up higher than the rest of the surrounding flooring. Probably 600mm high or so with a couple of steps to get up it. I would also like to use earth on top as the flooring material.

I was initially going to just frame it up like a deck and then cover it with ply and then do my earth floor on top. But then I thought why not put storage underneath. It's a lot of extra room for storage that would just go to waste otherwise.

Since it's an earth floor, I won't be able to access it from the top. But I could do drawers. The room is about 3x4m and enclosed on 3 sides by walls.

What I'm unsure of is how I would build drawers that could utilise the full depth of the floor. I've never seen drawers that are 3m long before!

Does anyone have some clever idea's about how I might utilise the space under there in the most efficient way possible?

Thanks for your input.
Tom

·
where's my table saw?
27,880 Posts
It's not a practical idea....

Nothing against earthen floors if they are energy efficient or giving off warmth from the earth. To have a raised earthen floor just seems to be carrying it too far. Earth is heavy and will need to be very well supported. It will eventually dry out and create a dust and "dirt" issue.
The animals or insects may decide it's their territory and mark it as such. I think you will eventually regret it, but I could be wrong.
:|

Reactions: GeorgeC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out earthen floors on google images. They're durable once oiled. I have built earth floors twice before. The second one I was nearly completely happy with.
Dry is good. As long as it is compacted and oiled it'll be fine.

I agree earth is heavy and may need some decent framing. That's what I'm trying to figure out now, but am looking for feedback on the drawers idea as that's the part I don't have a lot of experience with.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'd be thinking of using fat wide rollers, not guides....

roll the whole thing in/out.
use embedded wooden "tracks" if the rollers are too much pressure for the compacted earth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm rollers. Now that's an interesting idea.

The rollers will be on concrete slab so no problems there.

Don't quite understand what you mean by tracks. Is that like a slot cut out of the sides that the drawer could slide in?

Thanks man. That's useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the fact that it's made from local materials. I'll be digging it out of the ground 15m away from where it's going to be used. There's something in that which satisfies my love of simplicity.

I also love looking at them, they're a natural material and therefore they're irregular. Is kinda interesting thinking of where that clay has actually been. It's volcanic materials which have been under the ground in my area for thousands of years... I also really like that sort of thing when it comes to timber as well. "Wow, this tree has been around for hundreds of years and then it was turned into a house and then sat around for another hundred years, then it got demolished and I salvaged it and turned it into a table which will last for who know's how long... and then.......???"

The thermal mass of the floor is always welcomed too to help regulate internal temperatures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts