Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I haven't been on here in a few months. I was working on a restoration piece dinner table. But that got set aside when a customer came to me and asked me to make a raised bed for his daughter. Now, his daughter has a very small room, he explains to me, and wants to salvage as much space as possible. So he asked for two small 3 draw dresser pieces, that he purchased, sit under and inside the bed on one side and a closet on the other. At the end of the bed he wants shelves for shoes or whatever she uses them for.

For dimensions he gave me the size of the mattress and a head board to work with. The frame is 2x4 and 4x4. The over all length width and hight is 6'x5'x4'. And he wants pine material to finish.

I've gotten quite a bit done up to this point but I would still love to hear your feed back.

image-2781847845.jpg

More pics to come once I download to the computer

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
image-1945915947.jpg

This is where I'm at now, stripping the head board he wants to use.

Attachments

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
Interesting project. I'm curious to see the finished product. You mentioned that you are building this for a customer. Do you build furniture for a living? Do you have any other pics of anymore of your work? I'm just curious. I like to see what others in the industry are doing.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm trying to get my business up and running but I seem to just be staying afloat right now. I refinish furniture, and make whatever I feel people would be interested in. Very rarely do I take a custom job. Wertz Wood Shop, you'll be able to find it on Facebook. My website got shut down for the time being due to money but I get SLOW steady business here and there.

Here are a few of my top selling products...

Attachments

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
Nice stuff. Getting started is very tough. I've been through it myself. Still going through it I guess. Things are starting to take a turn for the better. People are starting to spend money again. Not a lot, but it's definitely getting better. Websites are great, but they cost money as you already know, and they are a lot of work. Nothing is better than word of mouth advertising. If you don't have business cards, get some. Pass them out all over the place. Work hard, always do the best you can, and you will be a success. Building up your clientele is one of those things that takes time. Eventually you will end up having more work than you can handle. Keep your overhead as low as possible so when it does slow down a little bit, you don't struggle to cover your bills.

Good luck,

Mike Darr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Mike, I appreciate the help and advice.

My customer wants the whole bed a white wash color ( white stain ) Does anyone have any advice on this stuff. For future reference now, I'm beginning to apply my poly. But that white stain seems to work well with specific woods. It soaks in nicely with one coat with the pine trim yet the headboard on the other hand doesn't and leaves steaks.

Can anyone educate me on these types of stains?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts