Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing a lot of these for sale now. all untreated but have been reclaimed so was wondering if they were sound, no rot, then would they be ok when cut down to size for using on projects inside. the wood is oak, pine or as one advertising oroko.
would i have to cut them and then leave to acclimatise or would they still need drying out some more.
if they need drying would i have to clamp them up with spacers, and put them in a cupboard that i have that gets really warm as all the hot water pipes go through it.
cheers guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is the bit that runs cross ways under the railson the railways. used to be all wood but are now being replaced with concrete. they are also normally surrounded but gravel and on raised beds to so i would have thought that rot shouldnt be a problem. o and they are 8"x6"x8' and about $50

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
most of them are but the ads say un treated so guessing that they are clear of the nasty stuff. was mainly wondering that if they have been outside for a number of years wether they would be seasoned and usable to make so bits and pieces for the house out of them. seems like a good idea as will be recycling
need to buy some tools now though:laughing:

·
Registered
55 Posts
If "untreated" means what we think it means then they might be a good deal. Sounds like you would need a big band saw or a mini lumber mill to get regular lumber out of them. You should go over them with a metal detector just in case as well. If they have been outside for several years they will have dried naturally. The moisture content might be a little high it depends on where you live (a Florida swap for instance would mean they might be a little wet still) Test one out and see - cut it in half and put a moisture meter on it. If you have higher moister on the inside it has never dried. You could still get a lot of cupping and twisting as you relieve internal tension in the wood cut your self 6/4 or 8/4 stock and see how it comes out. Just leave plenty of room for joining. Most of them might come from branches instead of trucks thats where your open to a bunch of internal stress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts