Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - just built a new railing for the basement stairs. I have 2x2 balusters, mounted directly to the treads with metal dowels, the railing is approx 2" from the wall. The top of the rail has a return which has a rosette mounted it. I now need to mount the rosette to the sheet rock. Any thoughts on how to mount this?

I know the right way to do this is to cut open the sheet rock and mount a cat back there. I do not want to go through this trouble, the walls were just painted!

I was thinking about a molly and some PL 400.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yes, a Molly and construction adhesive will do the job. I would also mount a bracket as close to the end as possible and still hit a stud. This will help support the end that is just glued to the sheetrock.

·
Soon to be Ol' Geezer
43 Posts
Yes, a Molly and construction adhesive will do the job. I would also mount a bracket as close to the end as possible and still hit a stud. This will help support the end that is just glued to the sheetrock.
Yep. That'll work if you do not want to rip out sheetrock and install blocking

·
Soon to be Ol' Geezer
43 Posts

Ditto

1 - 5 of 5 Posts