Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was undecided about giving this its own build thread rather than simply adding it to the Coach build and decided that I'll be doing enough unique stuff to this to merit its own thread. I hope no one gets upset by my decision.

I'll be using 1/2" Oak plywood to make the display and including a French cleat as a hanger to mount it to the wall in my computer room. It will be enclosed on all sides either by plywood or clear acrylic, have added lighting to enhance the final display and a couple of other display items just for fun.

In case you missed the original build of the coach, here is a link to the build:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/build-thread-raiders-coach-54632/

I hope you guys enjoy this one as much as you did the first. I promise to try to finish this quicker than I did the Coach.

Without further ado....

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Today marks the beginning of the build of a display for my Raider's Coach.

I began my marking a cut line on a piece of 24x48x1/2" Oak plywood and clamping my home made saw guide in place along the mark.

I then mounted a plywood blade in my circular saw and proceeded to cut the sheet into 2 pieces at just under 24" wide.

And here you can see the main reason to always have the "good" side of your sheet goods facing down when cutting with a circular saw.

The bottom piece is showing what was the under side of the cut and has very little ,if any, tear out. The top piece is showing what was the top of the cut and tear out along the entire length of the cut.

With the first cut in the sheet completed and my 48" piece reduced to two 24" pieces, I moved to my table saw and installed my 10" plywood blade.

Wrong blade shown, I know, but I wanted to show youse all the fancy plastic gizmo I picked up to change blades with. The manual for my old Craftsman TS says to jam a block of scrap into the blade to hold it when removing the arbor nut. That works, but sometimes lets the blade slip before the nut comes loose and after bending a rather expensive thin kerf blade I decided I'd had enough of jamming scraps against my blades. This guy holds the blade very securely and the handle position keeps my delicate hands away from any accidental slips.

Anyhow, With the blade changed I ripped my two plywood sheets into 5 strips. One is cut to be 14"x24"x1/2", three are at 8"x24"x1/2" and the fifth is what was left.

With my pieces cut, I mounted my 6" Oshlun Dado stack with enough chippers and shims to make a nice tight fitting dado.

I looked long and hard to find this set because the only sets I could find locally were 8" sets. The manual for my old Flex-drive Craftsman says to use nothing bigger than a 7" dado set and since I'm not yet willing to spend money for a new saw, and because there are no available replacement parts for my old gal, I choose to put as little strain on that flexible drive cable as possible.

Anyway with the stack installed, and the height set to 1/4" using my brass set-up bar, I set the fence to leave 1/2" of uncut material at the edge and proceeded to cut some dadoes.

On the piece that I will be using as a full 24" back panel I used that trusty blue painter's tape (3" wide in this case) and placed it around the end of the panel where the blade would exit the cut. The other piece will be cut into a couple of short side pieces, and so I let the cut just rip through. In this next photo, you will see that was perhaps not the best decision of the day.

Did you notice the tear out? Its a good thing that current plans call for me to cut away the ends of that piece anyway and make my sides from the best looking places in the middle of the panel.

Before moving away from the table saw, I wanted to show you guys one more thing.

My dado set is not one of those really expensive jobs. I think I paid around $45.00 for it plus shipping from Amazon. Yet it makes some mighty nice flat bottomed dadoes!

So, to all you guys who are nursing an old Craftsman table saw and want to be able to cut nice dadoes without an undo strain on the saw, I highly recommend this dado set. The included size chart is off (I need to add a shim to get a half inch dado) but that is no big deal. Just make yourself a story stick and you're all set.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before shutting things down for the day, I installed a 1/8" straight bit in the router and set the height for just over 1/16" and also set the fence to make a 1/16" wide cut.

I then ran a stick of scrap Walnut through the bit to create a rabbet along both sides.

This will be cut into two pieces along the length of each rabbet.

So I headed out to the band saw and set up to make a few very narrow rips.

Here you see me with my extra thin rip aux fence clamped to the bandsaw and cutting a few pieces of maple that will also be used in the display. In case you are wondering, the aux fence is simply a couple of pieces of scrap 1/2" plywood glued at a 90 degree angle that will fit in next to the band saw blade and allow me to lower the guide bearings close to the cut without having the fence interfere.

I ripped the Walnut strips from each rabbeted side at the same time using the same setup.

Yes, yes, I know you are probably asking yourself what the heck is this crazy old man going to do with those giant tooth picks? Well I aint telling you, yet.

With all that done, it was time to get things picked up and put away. I hope to get more finished tomorrow as we are expecting a nice day with temps near 80. :yes:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for deciding to hang in there with me. I'm afraid things are not going very fast. Every year the city holds a "Neighborhood clean-up" day. That means that the city will be hauling away any unwanted junk that is too big for the regular trash day pickup for free. Its a great time to get rid of old furniture, unwanted busted electronics, scrap metal, and boxes filled with all kinds of dust collectors that have been piling up all year. This year it falls on Tuesday of this week. So I've been clearing out all the junk that seems to breed in and around my house and making a nice neat pile at the side of the road for all the metal and electronics scrappers to pick through before the city comes to take it all away.

I did manage to get in some build time today and so:

First I cut both of the side panels at the sliding compound miter saw.

The two sections on the left will become my solid side sections.

After cutting the second, vertical, dadoes in both side pieces, I dry fit all the plywood pieces together and was very pleased by the result.

That Oshlun dado set sure does make a pretty joint. :yes:

All the pieces fit nice and tight so far and I think I shall glue them as they are after some light sanding. Then again, maybe not.

Moving away from plywood, I decided to cut dadoes in a couple of pieces of solid Oak.

First I cut a couple of dadoes in a wide piece that was left over from another project.

I also cut a dado in a longer narrow piece.

These will be further cut to size and used to make a border along the remaining sides and the front of the display.

That's about all I got done on the main display today. Not yet sure if I'll get to work on it tomorrow, but I promise to keep you all up to date when I get more done.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't wait for the SHOW to begin, How much is a BIG BAG OF POPCORN, and a COKE?

Sorry, I'm not a beer guy.

Dale in Indy
Don't worry Dale. I'm sure several of us are not beer fans either. Non-sweet Iced Tea for me. :yes:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, here goes today's few examples of wood chip making.

First I set up the router with a 3/4" straight cutter and machined enough material from the two side pieces to make rabbits along the tops.

I then trimmed the back panel just over 3/16" to lower the panel so that it could sit flush with the sides, and then fit the top panel.

Here is a look at the entire display up to this point.

Next I ripped those pieces of oak you already saw me add dadoes to. I cut them first to be 1-3/16" wide.

Sorry for not getting the push stick in the photo better. That "almost" pointed piece at the bottom of the photo is the push stick.

Next, using my Gripper and leveling plate, I ripped the oak pieces to the 1/2" width of the plywood. I am using the red oak sold at Lowes for this build, so my raw materials are either 1/2" oak plywood (with extremely thin top veneer) or 3/4" solid oak. Not a big deal provided you don't mind the extra milling to bring the solid pieces down to match the plywood pieces or mind the extra care needed to not bust through the surface of the plywood when sanding.

Next my Mommy called me in and said it was time to eat supper :chef:. Of course I was in the middle of cutting and fitting the side edging and had just gotten the two 45 degree corners cut when she called. So that's all for now, I'll have to post pictures tomorrow when I find time to actually take them. Sorry guys, I really wanted to get the rest of the edging done today.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I had to work fast today because we were expecting heavy rains this afternoon. So please forgive the missing photos of some steps. Besides, this would not be one of my projects if it didn't rain at some point to slow things up.

First, I used a strip of carpet tape to attach a temporary ZCI to my Sliding Compound Miter Saw (SCMS).

Using a drafting triangle I double checked that the saw would cut a 45 degree angle.

Happy with the setup, I cut the edging for the display from solid Oak.

First I made the edging for the portion of the shelf that extends past the boxed area using those strips of solid Oak that I'd made dado cuts in earlier.

Next I cut the edging for the boxed in area.

I made this edging by ripping narrow strips of solid Oak and then ripping again to get the 1/2" widths I needed for the plywood edging. The photo above shows the strips sitting in place before gluing.

I then moved everything out to the shed and proceeded to glue the edging in place. I'll get a photo of the clamped piece tomorrow. Didn't have time today because the rain came as I was putting the last of the clamps and tape in place.

Moving inside, I took those thin strips of walnut that I made the rabbits in a few days ago, and my small miter box along with that Chinese pull saw I used on the Coach and cut out several photos of the real coach, and the band which I located on the web, then scaled down using a free graphics program called GIMP.

I then created three photos that I will attach to the walls of the display.

This was accomplished by first printing each picture, then cutting them out and covering each with clear packing tape. I then glued each picture to some 3/32" craft plywood using CA glue. Then I made teeny tiny picture frames from the Walnut strips using my small miter box and glued the pictures to the frames again using CA glue.

I chose these three photos for special reasons. First, the middle one is the best photo of the real coach that I could find. The other two show the guys using guitars that are shaped like the pair I made for my model. The color shot shows Drake Levin (the group's lead guitarist) with a double necked instrument and the black and white picture shows Phill "Fang" Volk using his personalized bass that has the same shaped body as the one I made.

Supposed to have better weather tomorrow. We shall see what happens then.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
The display case is coming along great. But the framed pictures - the teenie-tiny framed pictures - just gave me goosebumps. I don't know why. It must be because the idea is so cool and they just look SO DAMNED CUTE I can't stand it! Yup from start to finish, the coach and its display case are proving to be nothing less that top-shelf awesomeness! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Because I promised:

Here is the display all glued up and clamped with the edging clamped and taped in place as outlined yesterday .

And here she is with the clamps and tape removed.

I think those spots you may be seeing are actually dust on the camera lens cause they are not in the wood.

That's all I have for you today. No excuses. It was one of those days where I just had no energy all day. I felt as though I'd not slept all night and I went to bed at what is for me a very early hour. Maybe I'm coming down with a cold or something.

I did do some mental figuring today though. Stuff like how to mount the coach, the lights and the mirrors.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts