Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As will become obvious, I am new to woodworking.

I am building an oak crib from plans (U-Bild). There is a cabinet door in the project that is a frame with a simple panel set into a 9/16 x 1/4 rabbit along the inner edge of the frame. The plans call for the frame to be assembled followed by cutting the rabbit. I have one router that is installed in my router table. I don't want to remove the router if I do not have to. My question is: is there any disadvantage to rabbiting the sides of the door frame before assembling the frame rather than routing it free hand after assembly?

Thanks

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
You can machine the rabbet on the table with a bearing mounted rabbeting bit as mentioned, with the frame together. If you do that remove the fence. Chisel out the rounded corners after machining the rabbet. A common bit has a 3/8" depth of rabbet, which can be changed with a different size bearing.

If you machine the rabbet on the table before assembling the fence, where the meeting frame members line up the rabbet has to stop. That means you'll have to start the rabbet from a point and stop at a point. This can be done with stops, but it's a PITA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts