Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God a nice bonus this week from work so i am finally pulling the trigger on an R4512 and the Bench Dog Cast Iron Extension....

Only question now is what router to buy.... i have an old craftsman with some electrical issues so i am completely fine with upgrading that as well. Anywho..... can anyone recommend a solid router set?! (im sure you guys can)

Any other recommendations for this setup along the way?

·
John
3,028 Posts
God a nice bonus this week from work so i am finally pulling the trigger on an R4512 and the Bench Dog Cast Iron Extension....

Only question now is what router to buy.... i have an old craftsman with some electrical issues so i am completely fine with upgrading that as well. Anywho..... can anyone recommend a solid router set?! (im sure you guys can)

Hi joe - What kind of budget are you looking at? Good table adaptable routers go from ~$100 to north of $400. Also, do you want the router in the table permanently or easily removable for hand held use? How much power are you looking for? Typically bigger is usually better but not necessary, nor particularly desirable if you are using it both hand held as well as in the table. More info will get you better suggestions.:smile:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id prefer to keep it under 300, with something that is easily removed from the table and used by hand. Nothing too powerful i dont think- especially because i plan on using 'hand-held' when necessary/easier.

what else am i missing here with this setup?

thanks again!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
The craftsman 2.5 hp set is 169 or less usually....and a top notch router in my view.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a craftsman now and really am not happy with many of the functions of it :thumbdown:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
The old craftsmans and the new ones are entirely different suppliers...as different as two different brands

·
Registered
618 Posts
Id prefer to keep it under 300, with something that is easily removed from the table and used by hand. Nothing too powerful i dont think- especially because i plan on using 'hand-held' when necessary/easier.

what else am i missing here with this setup?

thanks again!
Get a combo router that has a fixed base and a plunge base. Use the fixed base on your router wing.

The 2 most popular and probably best choices are the Bosch 1215 EVS and the Porter Cable.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I have a craftsman now and really am not happy with many of the functions of it :thumbdown:
What Ryan said. I also have an old Craftsman I haven't touched in 3 years, PIA from the gitgo. The new ones are well worth a look. Bosch 1619 is a good table table choice but powerful and correspondingly heavy. The Bosch 1617 is a good bet for what you want
Amazon.com: Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit with 1/4-Inch and 1/2-Inch Collets: Home Improvement
This optional fixed base offers above table adjustments.
Bosch RA1165 Under-Table Router Base with Above-Table Hex Key - Amazon.com
I haven't got one but I suspect with a little ingenuity you can make the base for the kit in the first link work like the base in the second link.
This little Craftsman is arguably the best bang for the buck for a router in todays market. The fixed base is ready for above table adjustments.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-a...p-00927683000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Porter Cable 893 offers the same functions of the Craftman at not quite 3X the money.
PORTER-CABLE 893PK 2-1/4-Horsepower Fixed- and Plunge-Base Kit - Amazon.com
I don't recommend the Porter Cable 690 at all. Very pricey for a single speed router (variable speed, lrvs versions, are available but are hard to find and very spendy. Black and Decker took over Porter Cable a couple of years ago and seem to be capitalizing on the old reputation and not upgrading the models.
Good Luck:smile:

·
John
3,028 Posts
Get a combo router that has a fixed base and a plunge base. Use the fixed base on your router wing.

The 2 most popular and probably best choices are the Bosch 1215 EVS and the Porter Cable.
Bosch 1215 is a die grinder... 1219 is a 3.25 HP router and the 1217 is a 2.25 router. I assume you meant the 1217.:smile:

·
Registered
14 Posts

I purchased a PC 890 router a few years ago. Within 3 months the collet retention plunger failed. Repaired under warranty. Just over one year old and the screws holding the rack gear to the outside of the motor case failed. Repair shop wanted $120 for new case, plus recommended new bearings. I'm a hobbyist that uses a router maybe once a month. My letters to the PC factory went unanswered. My craftsman router lasted 25 years under the same conditions. Never PC again.

·
Jack of too many trades..
181 Posts
I picked up a very nice Porter-Cable 892 for my BenchDog setup. It's an awesome router (way better than my old craftsman) But the problem is even with active dust collection right at the fence, I'm still getting little chips and slivers of wood falling down into the router "base" These gum up the router depth adjustment. It gets *very* frustrating, very quickly. I think there's some sort of add-on collector for the base...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Good choice in the PC890 series.

I've had two of them for years with no problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought the 153. Been looking for a new router, I have the porter cable 690, which is a workhorse. But it was my only router, so I ended up screwing it into my table and unscrewing it for handheld use. I really wanted a combo so I could mount the base fixed base and use the plunge base as my handheld when needed. As well as the convince of a plunge. With the "tools20" coupon I couldn't resist.

My wife says I am a tool collector more than a woodworker. She might be right :eek:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
To the op...if you have doubts about the craftsman....try it out, they have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

I think when you try it, you'll find its performance is equal to routers twice as much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts