Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you cut your 1" dowels. I need to cut about 30 1" pieces for a project I'm working on. The last time I tried using my compound mitre saw which ended up shooting the pieces around the shop and I tried making a jig for my table saw but the pieces just fell into the blade and got messed up. I ended up just using my hand saw but that takes awhile and needed lots of sanding. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
where's my table saw?
29,626 Posts
bandsaw. with a stop on the miter gauge or a stop on the fence

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Either way I'll need to buy a new tool. I only have a shark tooth handsaw and no band saw yet. Now to talk the wife into letting me spend some money.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to own a bandsaw and it would be my tool of choice to use the same way woodnthings does. But if you're going to settle into a hand saw to finish your project, dovetail saws are good, but in my humble opinion, I would use a Japanese pull saw instead. The blades are thin and flexible but because they cut on the "pull" rather then the push, I find them to be more accurate. Home Depot sells them under $30

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
How do you cut your 1" dowels. I need to cut about 30 1" pieces for a project I'm working on. The last time I tried using my compound mitre saw which ended up shooting the pieces around the shop and I tried making a jig for my table saw but the pieces just fell into the blade and got messed up. I ended up just using my hand saw but that takes awhile and needed lots of sanding. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
i have cut lot's of dowel's on the table saw, i know most wouldn't do it this way but i do and i have all 10,, just put a mark on saw where the 1" is and use the miter gage and cut if the blade is a good one that piece will just set their, cut the first one and see, not if it shoot's back , i wouddn't do with that blade, i had a blade that had a set issue, and this happened to me, got rid of that blade, i have a blade that i can cut off wood and it will just stay in place after the cut thanks for reading good luck

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I cut them on a CMS or a SCMS. I place an add on substrate to the table...to get a ZCI type of backer. I lay a few at a time on the table, and lay on top of them another substrate to hold them down. I cut down and leave the blade down until the blade stops. Then gather up the dowels.

On a table saw, set up a substrate against the side of the fence to end before where the blade starts cutting. Set the distance from the substrate to the blade as needed. You can use a miter gauge if you don't have a sled. Lay the dowel against the miter gauge and against the substrate, and cut. When the dowel gets past the substrate, the distance is correct, it gets cut it just falls to the table...no fence trapping it.

On a RAS, I just put a mark for the 1", and the dowel is cut on the right side of the blade. Saw is pulled slowly.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Thank you. Either way I'll need to buy a new tool. I only have a shark tooth handsaw and no band saw yet. Now to talk the wife into letting me spend some money.
I agree with the bandsaw for a power tool. I also have a little Marples (Irwin) pull saw I got from Home Depot for about $15 that works really well. It can cut through 1/2" dowel in about 3 strokes. :smile:

Reactions: Duncancruiser

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use a Japanese pull saw and it works well. It's just a basic one I got at the big blue box, but it zips right through.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Make a long V block to hold the dowels. You can secure it to the SCMS fence or a miter bar and use any saw you want. Use a piece of masking tape as a leash for the off cut to keep it from flying.

·
Hunter
240 Posts
To cut them better on the miter saw, you might try taping 3 or 4 dowels together and gang cutting them. This would make a larger cut off piece that would be less likely to fly around the room. It would reduce tear out on the cut offs and it would also take less time to cut your dowel pieces. The tape could quickly be peeled off the work pieces.

Hunter

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I needed up getting 44 of the 88 pieces of 1" dowel cut. Just a few more than I thought I needed. Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up putting a stop block on my compound mitre saw 1" from the blade and made sure the blade was fully stopped before lifting it back up. It worked like a charm. I get to finish the rest after work tomorrow. Thanks again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't want to seem nosy, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. What do you need 88 pieces of 1" dowel for?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts