Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How deep can you slide the fence back from bit?

Any opinions always welcome.

I'm trying to mount my new router in a table and I want the best setup without super large table. Mine is going to be around 24" deep 36" wide which I consider pretty good size. However its not built yet so it can change. :thumbsup:

·
John
3,028 Posts
How deep can you slide the fence back from bit?

Any opinions always welcome.

I'm trying to mount my new router in a table and I want the best setup without super large table. Mine is going to be around 24" deep 36" wide which I consider pretty good size. However its not built yet so it can change. :thumbsup:
Hi Richard, I can get about 3½" behind the bit centerline. I really seldom need that but I have it.
My table is 24 deep by 32 wide and the router is centered. I have got a much larger fence base than I really need also which affects positioning somewhat.:smile:

Reactions: rrbrown

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have about 14" behind center of bit on my small table (Oak Park), but have only used it out that far, once.....it's just as easy to use a router that's not in my table with a straight edge guide......but, if I ever build another table, that distance will increase to about 24 inches....I prefer the router mounted more to the left of center of the table.....

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Hi Richard,
Two tables both with lifts.

The one with the Incra twin linear fence is 27 wide x 44 deep and I can get about 15" of material between the bit and fence. The complaint is that the table is too narrow.

The one that I built with a home built fence is 47 wide x 31 deep. From the front of the table is about 19" to the bit. This table is almost perfect except it is on wheels and about 5" too high. (5" Casters) The way that I did dust collection is what forced the table into that configuration. If I ever get a real shop (not a garage) the wheels come off and the table will be on the ground and at a perfect height.

For dust collection I fitted a Rockler right angle 4" elbow into the floor of the router cavity. Pushed as high as possible through the floor of the cavity. It is held in place with screws through the right angle and into the edge of the router cavity floor.

Then a short piece of flex to a straight coupler and the DC connects there. A belt sander was used to make the right angle flush with the floor.

A 2-1/2" hose setup to the fence and through a hole in the back door to the router cavity. It does a rather good job of getting the fence dust down into the router cavity and into the DC.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
11 1/2" on my primary table (69" W x 31" D). I wish I had set the plate further back for a little more material support up front but not a big deal. I use the Freud SH-5 fence on this table.

My portable is 30"x 23" with a max bit to fence measurement of 9" using a basic Rockler fence.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, to be perfectly silly. my saw table extension table could be over 4 feet if I used the tablesaw fence. But my 24 X 36 standalone has `9" behind the bit and `10 inches in front. But since this table uses a clamp on fence, I can turn it and get 15" the other way if I ever wanted. But, like Wizard1500, on really long reaches, I prefer to take the router to the work.

·
7,222 Posts
I have an Incra LS router fence with 16in capacity of travel to the rear. I have a sacrificial fence on the front which consumes about 1 1/2in.

I have rarely needed to move the fence back from than a few inches so in hindsight I would have saved some money with the 12in Incra.

The table top is 27in wide. There are times when I wish the top were wider such as when routing a profile on a long board. I do have rollers if needed, just a pain to setup for a few minutes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The fence on my table, home built 24" x 36", goes back 4" from bit center. I have never used it back that far tho.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My homemade router table is 24" deep x 34" wide. The combination split fence/DC port/tool box is 5-3/4" deep, and I have another solid fence I clamp to the split fence when needed for other operations, (incorporating the lower dust port) leaving 5" from bit ctr to fence. I usually work on smaller stuff so I don't need a lot of room behind the bit. I agree with some that if you can't bring the mountain to Mohammed, take Mohammed to the mountain.
Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.
Jimmy
. Floor Tile Flooring Machine

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Here are some pictures.

If you send me a PM with your e-mail I can send you the shop drawings.

Attachments

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
The system doesn't like me so here are more pix.

Attachments

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
There are two split fences. They both use a "T" groove for adjustment. The second one (not shown) has a "T" track on the face for stops.

The aluminum bar in the router cavity is from the crank lift option. That option was replaced with an infinite wheel for fine adjustments.

Dust collection from the fence works reasonably well and the dust is dropped into the router cavity. Full table dust collection removes most through the low connection for the 4" hose.

Before I catch any poop from the dust collection police, the dust collection from the table is not perfect. I have to clean out the router cavity every few months. The fence port needs to be brushed into the DC port occasionally.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
my table has spaces for 3 routers. the farthest i can put the fence away from the bit is about 30"

rrich, at least you have dust collection ... mine is a couple of fans behind me blowing the dust out the garage door onto the driveway. when i'm done, i get the leaf blower out and scatter it throughout the front yard.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.