Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at Kroger to buy mineral oil for a cutting board I made and what they showed me was a Kroger brand mineral oil in a white bottle for a buck and change. Is this the mineral oil I need for my finish? It says it's a laxative. Need to make sure this is the stuff before I check out. Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JMartel said:
Yep. That's the stuff. It's not really a laxative, it's an intestinal lubricant technically.
Thanks for the info and the quick response. I grabbed a couple bottles of it. Great price compared to the stuff Home Depot sells

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
The stuff you got from the pharmacy section is a lot thicker than what you'd get at HD or the kitchen stores. This isn't a problem, just need to work it in harder than the thinner stuff.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sawdustfactory said:
The stuff you got from the pharmacy section is a lot thicker than what you'd get at HD or the kitchen stores. This isn't a problem, just need to work it in harder than the thinner stuff.
Thanks for the tip! I was going to let it soak up and rub it in. I'm planning to make a mixture of the oil and beeswax. When I do my last sanding I'm going to wet sand it with 600 grit with the oil

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sawdustfactory said:
You don't need to sand that high, it is a cutting board after all ;-)
Yeah I know but I want it to look like a very fine finish. It is my wife's Christmas present. She had been asking for one so I made this one but had to wait until after Christmas to buy a planer to plane it and finish it. Thought I would make it look as good as possible before it gets chopped on lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I was going to let it soak up and rub it in. I'm planning to make a mixture of the oil and beeswax. When I do my last sanding I'm going to wet sand it with 600 grit with the oil
Try this out:

1.5 cups mineral oil
2.9 ounces of beeswax

Use the best oil and the white beeswax, not the yellow kind

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Hope I am not posting too late. After I finished sanding my board, I wiped it down with a damp rag. Later I sanded it again with 220, then wiped it again...then sanded with 320. After applying the mineral oil, it is very smooth.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far I've slopped a bunch of oil on it on both sides twice and let it soak up. The second coat though didn't soak anymore and I've wiped it off. I cut up half a bar of beeswax and cooked it with mineral oil and am letting it sit for 15min then buffing off. So far I've only sanded it to 220 and it's extremely smooth. I think I'll probably sand it one more time after this though

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far I'm pretty impressed with how it looks. I used mainly maple, with cherry, Paduk, and yellow heart as accent woods. I'll post pics

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks nice. I like to route a 1/8" groove on the top around the edge about a 1/2" in from the edge to catch any run off. On my 4/4 boards I route handles underneath too. Good job!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dopalgangr said:
Looks nice. I like to route a 1/8" groove on the top around the edge about a 1/2" in from the edge to catch any run off. On my 4/4 boards I route handles underneath too. Good job!
I thought about doing the grove around the top but didn't for some reason. I may do that with the next one though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts