Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm designing a table that has branches as legs. This is a project for class so I'm working within a time constraint. I know that wood drys at the rate of 1''/year, but I'm wondering if there are alternative methods for drying. Would a ceramics kiln work? My oven at home? How compromised would the strength of the wood be by quick drying methods? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
First what kind of wood do you have pictures of this wood ?????

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm designing a table that has branches as legs. This is a project for class so I'm working within a time constraint. I know that wood drys at the rate of 1''/year, but I'm wondering if there are alternative methods for drying. Would a ceramics kiln work? My oven at home? How compromised would the strength of the wood be by quick drying methods? Thanks in advance!
If your working with time constraints, i would say just finish it as is, you can not dry wood quickly and expect it to keep those dimensions for a long time. Do your project and then remove the finish later on and let it reach its normal EMC content, then you can finish again with whatever you choose ok?

for now i would suggest an oil tung if fairly smooth and wax with a stiff brush shine if its rough. either can be worked over later on.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Depending on the wood and just how quick you need to finish it for class you might consider a lumber kiln.

If you need it in a real hurry I'd suggest you call woodmizer (the sawmill co) and ask if they have anyone in your area with one of thier vacuum kilns. That would dry it completly in only a few days and they (woodmizer) tend to be extremely helpful reffering you to their customers.

--------------------------------------------- one day I'll be so good that I won't need this forum any longer... then I'll know I have full onset Dementia! ~tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts