Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of any air fittings that just push together instead of having to pull back the ring to connect them? Something that is also less leaky? I'm currently using fittings from HD, Blowes, and HF. They do the job, but are a pain to connect, and leaky as hell.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Mine don't leak at all. Are you using Teflon tape on the threads??

If you didn't have to pull something back to release, the pressure would just unseat it

·
where's my table saw?
29,965 Posts
I've got lots of them, but there is a trick

Does anybody know of any air fittings that just push together instead of having to pull back the ring to connect them? Something that is also less leaky? I'm currently using fittings from HD, Blowes, and HF. They do the job, but are a pain to connect, and leaky as hell.
Mine don't leak, TSC brand most OR what came with the tools. Yes, when under pressure they are hard to connect. SO, turn OFF the pressure or turn ON the tool while trying to connect them, so the air can bleed out. I really like the new green lightweight "no kink" air hose from TSC also. It still kinks or hoops up but not as bad as PVC and rubber is heavy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310366721554

·
Registered
485 Posts
All my "quick disconnects" leak a little. Makes the compressor come on in the middle of the night. I just grin and bear it, as best I can. Cowboy up!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I do know that the DeWalt compressor uses a quick connect female fitting where you just push the male fitting in and it locks. Check in the DeWalt tool department and see if they sell fittings like those on the compressor.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
I just recently got some that are exactly what you are looking for! I can't remember the brand but they come from my local body shop supplier.

You just buy the female side and they connect to several sizes and designs of stems. They don't leak and they just snap in. They cost $8 each wholesale.

I'll check what the brand is when I get back to the shop again.

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Most of mine are Harbor Freight. They are good for a few years and then wear and start leaking. However, they are so cheap that replacing is no problem.

Leaks most often occur in the threaded parts. As mentioned above, it is important to use Teflon tape when installing.

George

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm familiar with teflon tape. I use it on must threads where something could leak. But the fittings tend not to leak there. It's usually between the 2. And I'm really looking for some that push together, because some of my connectors are mounted on inconvenient spots. Eventually they may get moved, but for now……..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think HF sells two type connectors. One has just a little longer lip on the male connect. So when you buy them you have to really check out what you are buying. I think they do it on purpose so they can sell more of them. Lol. But when you get the correct ones they do ok and are very cheap to replace.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
All air fittings are not created equal. My hardware store sells cheap ones that typically leak for the folk that want cheap and decent ones for the contractors that get annoyed with leaks. There are several configurations so be sure your male and female parts are compatible.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have used Milton brand air couplings for years and never had a leakage problem. I've always found them at local auto parts stores. The couplers I use are solid brass and last a long time. Out of curiosity, I looked up their web site to see if they have anything new like you are asking about and they do:
https://miltonindustries.com/uploads/Milton_Safety_Couplers_M-A-T_Style_Form_9X042.pdf

These are interesting as they require two button pushes to disconnect. One releases the pressure and the other physically disconnects. It sounds like a good idea, as compared to popping a fitting loose and having the other end of the hose fly around for a couple seconds. Northern Tool handles Milton and has these new ones for about $11. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200320233_200320233

Bill

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah, yes, those Milton ones look good, at about the price I'm willing to pay. One thing that is not mentioned, though; do you have to push the buttons to connect them, or do you just have to push the connector? That's kind of important that they just push & lock...

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts