Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight we had a major situation. Sewer backed up into our basement...I was able to get water moving again but city sewer system around here had gas leaking up the drain hole. We needed a cap for the drain fast (13 month old in the house.) 5 3/8 inch inset. Heres where the lathe comes in..I took a piece of poplar scrap i had laying around, turned it just a touch below 5 3/16th with a slight taper. Grabbed some 2" wide rubber stripping and put it around the edge ( epoxy and staple gun)...pour mineral oil all over it and hammered it into place. Of all the things i have made and tried to make, i dont think i have ever used the lathe to make an emergency fix before.

Philip Collier using Woodworking Talk

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Yikes ... :eek:

First, well done on your quick response to the mess -- and second, I really hope your city gets the problems with the sewerage sytem fixed promptly.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I love the lathe. I needed a special wrench to change a part in my commode once. It took about 15 minutes to make it on the lathe with a little hand carving with a chisel. Not as dire as your emergency though. Glad it worked out.

·
7,222 Posts
Nice story, and especially to read a successful conclusion. :yes:

In case the wife evers complains about the lathe purchase, you can remind her that you justified whatever the price was in this emergency. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice story, and especially to read a successful conclusion. :yes:

In case the wife evers complains about the lathe purchase, you can remind her that you justified whatever the price was in this emergency. :thumbsup:
Actually she said I finally made something from wood she can use. She loves steel works, not so much wood.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Dave Paine said:
Nice story, and especially to read a successful conclusion. :yes: In case the wife evers complains about the lathe purchase, you can remind her that you justified whatever the price was in this emergency. :thumbsup:
This is true!

And if you really wanted to push it, you can now "justify" some new tools! Since you saved hundreds in damage in the basement by not having to replace things, you spend alittle for the shop!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts