Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a drill press to drill holes with a forstner bit to make mortises in 2x6 stock. I don't want something too big, heavy or expensive.
Originally I was looking for a 12" but found this 10" for a really good price and has very good reviews:

Amazon.com: SKIL 3320-02 120-Volt 10-Inch Drill Press: Home Improvement

My question is the 10 inches measured from the bottom of the chuck to the top of the table? Since I need to make a fence that will subtract another inch or so for that so I will be left with 9 inches. Since the stock is 5-1/2 inches that will leave me with 3-1/2 inches which might be just enough to drill holes 3 inches deep.

Another question is could I leave the table off and bolt my fence to the base at the bottom and gain some more height?

Thanks

·
7,222 Posts
I want a drill press to drill holes with a forstner bit to make mortises in 2x6 stock.

My question is the 10 inches measured from the bottom of the chuck to the top of the table? Since I need to make a fence that will subtract another inch or so for that so I will be left with 9 inches. Since the stock is 5-1/2 inches that will leave me with 3-1/2 inches which might be just enough to drill holes 3 inches deep.

Another question is could I leave the table off and bolt my fence to the base at the bottom and gain some more height?
Drill press "size" refers to the "swing" or max diameter of an item which can be drilled on the machine. This means two times the max distance from the centre of the chuck and the post.

So the machine you linked will have 5in from centre of the chuck to the post.

The technical details are rather sparse, but it looks like you should be able to fit a 2x6 on edge on the table, when lowered. This may depend on the length of the drill.

A 3.2Amp motor is rather small. The benefit of a larger swing drill press is it may have a larger motor. Useful for larger diameter drills, especially Forstner bits.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The 10" spec refers to the diameter of a circle which you can drill to the center thereof. In other words, 5" from column to center of table, ie, chuck center.

At a guess it looks like a foot or more between table and chuck with the table full down. But the stroke length is not listed, one of the questions posted says it's about 2-1/2 ".

Edit: Dave beat me to it. (Rascal posted while I was typing).

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
There's plenty I guys making mortises with a drill press and cleaning the corners with a chisel...not that hard with a sharp chisel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I guess I don't know a lot about drill presses.
It seems most of the benchtop models will do at most a 3" deep hole and this one is probably less than that.

·
7,222 Posts
Well I guess I don't know a lot about drill presses.
It seems most of the benchtop models will do at most a 3" deep hole and this one is probably less than that.
When looking at drill presses, look for the specificiation of "Quill travel" or "chuck travel" which will define how deep a hole you can drill.

The Skil drill press you link does not state most of the important specifications.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After looking some more it seems that drill presses like most power tools these days are all made in China and have random quality, ranging from good to unusable.
I still think the Skil drill press is worth a try because of the low price, small size weight and good reviews.
I could get by the problem with the spindle travel by drilling once, raise the stock and inch or two and drill again, assuming starting the drill with a forstner bit inside the hole ins't a safety issue.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
With a little luck, for the same money or a little more, a good used old iron DP could be yours. I picked up an old Craftsman 150 for $75.00 a while back. It was usable as is, but it will get some refurbishing when I get time. Check Craigslist and local want ads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a little luck, for the same money or a little more, a good used old iron DP could be yours. I picked up an old Craftsman 150 for $75.00 a while back. It was usable as is, but it will get some refurbishing when I get time. Check Craigslist and local want ads.
I did just that and found a Ryobi DP121l. It is a 12" press with 3" travel and has a 5A motor. I think it is the perfect size for what I need.
For some reason Ryobi discontued it and now they just have a 10" model.
Also picked up a Porter Cable 690 router off CL for $65 a few ago and I have been putting it to good use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts