Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a dining table that will fit a certain area of my kitchen. It is approx. 34 in wide and about 83 in long. I have some VERY nice Walnut hardwood flooring left over and thought that using it as an inlay in the center of the table would be "different." Its engineered flooring that is just shy of 1/2inch thick tongue & groove. Basically, I'd like to take 4 of the strips of flooring and insert them into and insert them into the table top.

My Question is ---- Other than using my router can anyone think of another way to cut out the "Mortise" (for lack of a better word) where the inlayed flooring will be inserted in the table top - we're talking approx. 22 X 48 inches that I'll have to route out????

·
7,222 Posts
Make a router sled. Several threads on the forum. Simple, two outside rails and then a carriage to span the outside rails in which the router sits.

You should be able to make decent stops on the carriage to get a good outline so you only need to clean up the corners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

THANKS GUYS:
Looks like I'm gonna need a few more router bits...No Way I'm gonna be able to do all the work with one or two...even thou I've got a good bit... Like I said in my first post - I've got approx. 23" X 48" X 1/2" deep to route out... I've got a 3/4" bit... should probably see if I can get a wider one... :eek:

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
if it were me. i would use a 1/2" spiral up cut bit. use straight edge fences to get the perimeter cuts in first. then i'd build a router base that extends to one side with a handle. using the router and the bit properly adjusted for depth, run the router with the base riding on the uncut part of the table until done. cleanup with sander. will provide mucho woodchips!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm making a dining table that will fit a certain area of my kitchen. It is approx. 34 in wide and about 83 in long. I have some VERY nice Walnut hardwood flooring left over and thought that using it as an inlay in the center of the table would be "different." Its engineered flooring that is just shy of 1/2inch thick tongue & groove. Basically, I'd like to take 4 of the strips of flooring and insert them into and insert them into the table top.

My Question is ---- Other than using my router can anyone think of another way to cut out the "Mortise" (for lack of a better word) where the inlayed flooring will be inserted in the table top - we're talking approx. 22 X 48 inches that I'll have to route out????
Well here are two crazy ideas...Do you have access to a planner. One way would be to remove the top, cut off the two sides and the ends, plane down the boards of whats left of the center part of the table until the inlay flooring will fit to match the table thickness. Re-glue the entire thing, inserts, side and ends, then sand and refinish....or...face glue the flooring onto the top where you want it, then build up around it with new wood (what ever the table is made of), again face gluing, you'll have a really thick table the second way, but you'll have the inlay effect. The problem with the first way will be clamp up for the end pieces at 83" long, if you have some bar clamps, you can just get longer pipe to accommodate the lenght. I wouldn't want to route out an area that size, that would be a nightmare and require some crazy jig, like some kind of sliding thing for support, that would allow moving quickly after ever pass.

edit: you could also forget the end cuts and just cut off both sides, then you'll just do the 34" side clamp when you put the table back together. You would have the walnut run the entire 83" lenght down the middle end for end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts