Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are woods that you can NOT use for bowls and goblets. I have read a lot on food safe finishes but have not read anything about woods that are not safe for the general public. I under stand some people my be alergic to some wood so I am asking about wood that is toxic to people in general. Thanks

·
7,222 Posts
This topic comes up now and again in other forums, like this thread.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/wood-cutting-boards-47700/

People's sensitivity differs depending on factors like :
a) Particle size, e.g., dust
b) Touch vs ingestion.
c) The wood vs products of fruit/seeds from the wood like walnut oil.

I think more people are sensitive to dust more than touching/eating off a wooden surface.

I have hard maple, walnut, purpleheart and yellowheart in the cutting boards we use in our kitchen. These are cut on a lot. I see scratches, but I do not notice particles shedding.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
DON'T use Chinese Tallow (aka popcorn tree). Tried--flies apart, irritating chemical in the wood
Depending on where you are Chinaberry (Chokecherry as it's called around here)- light wt wood, looks nice but flies apart unexpectedly, seems in other areas it's more solid--not here!
Dave H

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
We have a member who's son is deathly allergic to walnut dust. You may want to be careful around it until you know its effects better. It has almost no effect on me. All that happens is I get ugly nasty black buggers if I'm stupid and don't wear my respirator when working with it. I have it in my cutting boards and just about everything I make. I love walnut, but some people do have nut allergies so be careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.