Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a small bowl, maybe 1 3/4" thick and 4" or so across. It is going to be for my wife to pour her hand made shaving soap in. I will then make a marching razor, brush and stand and she can sell it as a set. (She is a soaper and we are trying to find projects to do together)

I have never made a bowl before. I have a talon chuck and the piese to screw in to do the outside. Then I turn it around and chuck a tenon that I cut. My problem is that I do not have enough thickness to cut a tenon. Can I glue a piece of wood to the bottom and use that for a tenon then remove it with a parting tool?

Of course, I am a newbie turner.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You can glue a waste block on. I used to do that a lot. Use a good solid piece of wood. I use maple or yellow poplar. Make sure it's thick enough to give you room to part it off.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I use a glue block on my faceplate a lot, usually trying to maximize a small piece of wood. Just make sure you get a good flat surface on both pieces for maximum contact. I use epoxy or med/thick C/A. It's a common practice from what I can tell.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would epoxy be better than titebond?

Has anyone ever turned a shaving mug? If so would you please post a pix?

Thank You

Andy

·
37 Posts
trying to help

I want to make a small bowl, maybe 1 3/4" thick and 4" or so across. It is going to be for my wife to pour her hand made shaving soap in. I will then make a marching razor, brush and stand and she can sell it as a set. (She is a soaper and we are trying to find projects to do together)

I have never made a bowl before. I have a talon chuck and the piese to screw in to do the outside. Then I turn it around and chuck a tenon that I cut. My problem is that I do not have enough thickness to cut a tenon. Can I glue a piece of wood to the bottom and use that for a tenon then remove it with a parting tool?

Of course, I am a newbie turner.

Thank you in advance.
This is the set up that I have and use. Bought from woodcraft a tap 1x8 thread (Jet lathe), Went to the Box, 1 1/2 x8 in x 8 foot yellow pine, cut me a bunch of sq 3x3 in. blocks of wood, drill and taped. Then I glue to waste block a scrap piece of wood, play around with the glued piece of wood,then using a parting tool/separate. Practice and as time goes by you'll have found your niche, and modified those blocks to your liking. The best part, unlike a store bought chuck, your bowl will stay attached to waste block till you decide to separate, and you reuse them. Then you going to say to yourself, I wonder if I glue a piece of wood to my waste block if I can make a jamb chuck, yep. Works for me. Ron Marietta Ga

1 - 6 of 6 Posts