Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello –

New to this forum but have looked around for a while regarding floating shelves. I would like to create a longer version (13’ L, 14” deep, 4” in height), similar to this: http://www.houzz.com/photos/175128/Office-contemporary-home-office-new-york

I was planning to use 1x4s, with a ½ inch birch top and bottom. My general question would be how to mount it (a cleat? 4” screws to the 2x6 studs?) There are 8 available studs covered with sheetrock.

I do have access to the left and right wall but the only studs are in the corners.. Additionally, would a torsion box be the best route to build? For reference a picture of the space is attached.
photo.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
You would need to mount a piece of wood 3/4" thick and 2" to 4" wide flat to the wall level and 1/2" short of the finished height you want. Then you would need some kind of brackets every 3' to 4' preferably to the floor supporting the top. Since you plan to use 1/2" plywood there would need to be a 2" wide skirt under the front to keep the plywood from sagging.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts