Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a newbie so please be patient. I will be building this bed soon and the customer wants to use plywood. I'm thinking of maybe 3/4 oak or maybe birch. They are very easy going and just want it stained dark. Which type of plywood takes the stain well? Oak? Also, ill be using the wood edge banding and staining that to match. I've never stained that but I apply it then stain the whole piece of wood right?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,945 Posts
Good afternoon Welcome to the forum

Could you explain something. You say your a "newbie", but you are building something for a customer. Those two comments normally do not go together.

George

·
Registered
303 Posts
Oak plywood and the oak wood you will use for edging and other parts will take stain more evenly and at a cheaper price than any other species. Be aware, though, that oak has a very open grain, which will show up more with darker stain. Also, the dramatic grain pattern of oak is something that some customers do not like. Cherry or walnut plywood are other choices, which will take dark stain well, but will be a lot more expensive.

I also am questioning your ability to jump at such a big project if you are a "Newbie" and do not know these things....especially if it is for a paying customer. I hope you know what you are getting into. You could be out a lot of money if the customer isn't satisfied....or, even worse, the customer could be out a lot of money if you botch the job and run. Don't be offended, I am just letting you know what happens for a lot of beginners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a newbie to this sight. I've been building things all my life. I'm just now getting into more of the furniture type projects and not general construction. I am in NO way as experienced or as wise as many people on this forum. I will learn and share what I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offense taken. This customer is actually my aunt. I just didn't feel like going into all that when I posted earlier. I'm building this bed for one of her family members. She wanted me to do it because she saw this bed I built for my nephew. The bunk bed was really fun to build and I told her I'd build this bed with drawers for her. I've been reading a lot on these forums about the staining and what's involved. Also which ones take it better. From what I've read the oak is what I was considering I just wanted to ask. FYI. The bed with drawers I'm building does not include the dresser or night stands. I'm still researching everything about this build before I buy anything. But like I said. I'm new to these types of projects and new to this website. Please be patient with my ignorance.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts