Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping my lack of sleep isn't blinding me to the obvious here (probably).. But i spent a bit searching and couldn't find much of anything so ill ask.

I was searching up info on something unrelated to this but then this dowel jig (and other dowel jigs) popped up and i ended up looking at them. - The metal inserts that are supposed to be deigned to keep a drill bit straight while having the strength/endurance to not get broken up while the drill bit is spinning... do they makes those that could be inserted into wood? Either sliding in or threaded.

Item link

This item was the only thing close that i could find to that. Looks like an over sized grommet. While id be willing to try this one, its a $6 shipping charge on a small 5cent item which annoys me. That site cant/wont offer a lower shipping for just one of them, and i cant seem to find them in any local(ish) stores.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm hoping my lack of sleep isn't blinding me to the obvious here (probably).. But i spent a bit searching and couldn't find much of anything so ill ask.

I was searching up info on something unrelated to this but then this dowel jig (and other dowel jigs) popped up and i ended up looking at them. - The metal inserts that are supposed to be deigned to keep a drill bit straight while having the strength/endurance to not get broken up while the drill bit is spinning... do they makes those that could be inserted into wood? Either sliding in or threaded.
You're looking for "Drill Bushings". These, for example.

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
You can buy an entire dowel jig for $15.00 at Harbor Freight. I bought two of them at that rate:

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can buy an entire dowel jig for $15.00 at Harbor Freight. I bought two of them at that rate:
I like this, then I can use the bushings to thread into my own jig..
Thank you. Perfect solution for my needs, as I can swing by a Harbor freight today.

·
Wishing he had a title...
493 Posts
Just so you know they are called 'drill busings' and there are LOTS of styles and sizes out there. Prices vary but they are precision made and can be a tad pricey depending on size and style.

I have speced out a LOT of these in machines, jigs and fixtures over the years.

Here is my go to place or something like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts