Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those of you who use a Jet 10-20 or similar open sided drum sander, have you had success when sanding material wider than the drum?

I have used my Uncle’s machine that way and it thumps and becomes real noisy out at the free end of the drum. I suspect the fact that the sandpaper is attached at the point and there is an interruption with each revolution.
Thanks

·
7,222 Posts
A question for those of you who use a Jet 10-20 or similar open sided drum sander, have you had success when sanding material wider than the drum?

I have used my Uncle’s machine that way and it thumps and becomes real noisy out at the free end of the drum. I suspect the fact that the sandpaper is attached at the point and there is an interruption with each revolution.
Thanks
I have the Performax 16/32 (before they were purchased by Jet).

The paper is held within the drum which allows sanding pieces wider than the drum.

If the free end is flexing, feels like the lock mechanism on the motor end is not tight. This is a weakness in the design in my opinion. I replaced the spring and nut with locknuts so that I have better fine tuning of the drum level and more confidence the nuts would not move.

I have sanded wider pieces than the drum, although not often. It should work.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have the Jet 16-32 and used it to sand glue-up to 24". Just don't be very aggressive when setting the sanding depth. Follow the direction in the manual and you will not have a problem. When running a glue-up panel thru for the first time use 80 to 100 grit paper. Do your finishing passes with 120 grit. Remember to allow for stock removal during sanding so plane your boards ticker than 3/4".
I use mine almost exclusively on red oak.

The only problem I have is the clip that holds the sand paper tip on the motor side of the drum. I use a dentist mirror to make sure it is in the correct position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts