Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on building a small box and I need a hinge, but I'm not sure what type of hinge that would be.

I'm looking for a hinge that mounts to the outside of the box so that the lid is closed when the hinge is at 90° and when the lid is open, the hinge is 180° or 270° (doesn't matter if it stops). See my crude drawing, below.

I've been told that I need a piano/continuous hinge or that I need a butt hinge, but I'm not sure. I'd like something that looks decent/decorative and it's a small box, so there is no issue with it bearing any weight.

Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks!!

·
OLD DUDE AT WORK
1,460 Posts
Piano hinges are great. How big is your project? May look bad on a very small box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pianoman: While tape would probably work, it's not exactly the solution I'm hoping to find.

Cabinetman: would the two hinges you linked work with the mitered pieces in the drawing? The barrel hinges would need to drill in, but the edges are mitered. The soss hinges also attach on the face that is mitered, I think.

H.A.S.: the box is relatively small, just 8x8x5... so a piano hinge might seem disproportionately large. Ideally, I'd like something like http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21323 . I'd want one half attached to the top of the box and one half attached to the back so it is closed at 90 degrees and opened at 180+

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still haven't found quite the right hinge type, so if anybody has any input, I'd love to hear it. I went in to the Rockler store today and the guy I spoke with suggested a piano hinge, but I'm still concerned that a piano hinge will be too large and I'd prefer something with a little more form over function for such a small box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts