Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to scrolling...i have a cheap ryobi 16in variable speed. I know its not a great saw but its what i can afford..been wanting to make some puzzles out of half inch-3/4 in stock....is it even possible with pin end plades? i got some thin blades they break...thicker blades dont make the corners i need. What is the best brand blade to buy? olsen? any advise is appreciated..other than drop 500-1000 on a good saw..haha...thanks guys.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have a fairly cheap craftsman scroll saw and really like it. I have used pin end blades and straight blades to do scroll work.

You just have to drill a bigger hole to string the blade threw.
I really like the Craftsman 360 blades. There straight blades that cut in all directions.

I made this cut out using 3/4 red oak.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I am fairly new to scroll work and I have a low end craftsman. I have used Olson blades and like them. The ones that snap on me are ususally because I overtighten them.

I have used 360 blades and in my very limited experience would not use them for puzzle pieces. Maybe it is me but they leave little bumps (the diameter of the blade) if you do not move smoothly. I use them for really tight spots like in the unicorn I did.

As far as blade breaking...I have done these which are almost 2 inch thick oak, maple, and walnut.

I am sure Kenbo and others will chime in with more expert advice.

Take your time and don't push through the stock and your blades should last.
Unicorn3.jpg

photo 31.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply...im really thinkin i need to get a pinless saw. This one works great for just cutting stuff out but these blades regardless of stock dont seem to want to make those tight corners....maybe i just need to practice more....lol..will keep messing with it...maybe i can figure it out....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im thinkin dewalt dw788. can get one for just shy of 500 looks like. Reviews look good. What do you guys think? im wanting to eventually work up to some complex fretwork pieces.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The Dewalt 788 is well respected. I have one and though I bought it used, so far, so good. The Delta 40-690 is apparently the same saw and you may be able to find a good price on one if you can find it. They've been replaced by the new 40-695.

To upgrade from the Dewalt, you would be looking at something like an Excalibur or a Hegner, which are in a different price range. (The kind of price range that makes you say "Ouch" unless you are a serious scroller).

Can you get a pinless blade adapter for your current saw? I once had a cheap, one speed Craftsman and even it came with a set of pinless chucks.

BTW, the spiral blades can be tough to use as they don't hold a line well. Some guys use them just to increase the width of a kerf they've already cut with a conventional blade.

Bill

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,384 Posts
For starters, what kind of saw do you have (I know you said Ryobi) that only takes pinned blades. I would think that it should take either.
You might want to check out my short video on blade selection. You can find it
Next off, if you are using 1/2" - 3/4" stock, you would be looking at using a #3 or a #7 reverse tooth blade. The #3 will serve you well for getting tighter corners for the puzzles. If you are using spiral blades, you can forget about the puzzles. The kerf on a spiral, even with a 2/0 blades is far too large for a puzzle to work. It would be sloppy.
I prefer Olson blades and I mostly use a reverse tooth.
Here is a chart to help you a little more on your selection of blades.
View attachment blade usage.pdf

Post a photo of your saw and I might be able to help you a little more on some tips.
Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss it on the main board.
I hope this helps you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys..yeah ken its a SC164VS. It may take pinless...it had pinend in it when i got it..and no.manual..so assumed it was a cheap model so pin end was only option.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome..thanks bill...now i have to figure out where those blades would feed into and clamp..i guessthe little black knobs beside the slot for my pin blades? or in same spot just different way to.lock em in?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so it goes in the same...just without the ease of a pin holding it in place...thought would be harder than that.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The pinless blades will get inserted in the blade slot in the arm and lower blade retainer. The thumb screws will get tightened to pinch the blade in the blade retainers and from there you can adjust the tension.
If anyone has a saw that takes the pinless blades - don't pass up on a good buy on the pin type. The pins knock out real easy.

Ordered some flying dutchman blades from mikes workshop...its like using a totally different saw
Just got a sample from flying dutchman, and man are they really thin and fine toothed. Recommended for hard and soft wood up to 1". Can't wait to try them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got a sample from flying dutchman, and man are they really thin and fine toothed. Recommended for hard and soft wood up to 1". Can't wait to try them.
Yeah mine came in saturdy but i work 12 hr nights on weekends so coudnt play..tried em yesterday they are insane. And i bought 4 doz for 15 bucks...recently bought 18 blades at home depot for 15 bucks and they suck....lol...i am very pleased.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Rtindell.... Welcome to scrollsawing... You'll love it... Just be aware the time will pass quickly, and before you know it it's midnight, and you're still at it.....
Very addictive.... I bought a Dewalt a few weeks ago, and wish I'd done it years ago....

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rtindell.... Welcome to scrollsawing... You'll love it... Just be aware the time will pass quickly, and before you know it it's midnight, and you're still at it.....
Very addictive.... I bought a Dewalt a few weeks ago, and wish I'd done it years ago....
Thanks Oakwerks..yeah i already get caught up out in garage just dinking around...im excited to get started on a big project...im really thinkin maybe tax season next year getting a dewalt..havent heard a single bad thing about them...but after getting this one...and a lathe in the last month..i should probably ease off for a bit or im going to have to build myself a doghouse to sleep in...HAHA

·
Registered
401 Posts
rtindell said:
Thanks Oakwerks..yeah i already get caught up out in garage just dinking around...im excited to get started on a big project...im really thinkin maybe tax season next year getting a dewalt..havent heard a single bad thing about them...but after getting this one...and a lathe in the last month..i should probably ease off for a bit or im going to have to build myself a doghouse to sleep in...HAHA
What lathe did you get ?? Haven't used one since high school (1960), so have been watching videos....
It's my next addition.... In the process of building a table for my new Triton router.... It never ends, does it ??
Thank goodness for a wife that encourages me to go for it.... You should see her sewing room....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts