Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am pretty new to woodworking and the tools involved in the trade. I was reading a forum post and they were talking about "Quill Travel". I did a little research via Google and didn't find anything that really told me what exactly that is.

So two questions:

1) What is a Quill and Quill Travel?
2) Why is it desirable to have more quill travel?

I really appreciate your help in this!

·
where's my table saw?
27,868 Posts
part of the moving chuck assembly

The assembly that spins the chuck is a splined arbor that slides up and down as you turn the feed handle. The splines allow it to move vertically and still apply rotational force to the chuick and therefore the drill(s).

More travel is nice when you are boring deep holes. The longer your bit like a brad point, the deeper you can drill. To clear out the chips you need to bring the drill out of the hole occasionally. With a short travel drill press you can't come all the way out to clear the chips OR your drill won't go deep enough, neither is a good thing. Cheaper, newer drill presses don't have much quill travel, usually about 3" or less. Some of the older or the newer, more expensive larger models have 5" or more travel.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
another benefit for the super lazy. you can drill holes with different length bits or different thickness material without moving the table.

·
Super Moderator
4,843 Posts
Hey All,

I am pretty new to woodworking and the tools involved in the trade. I was reading a forum post and they were talking about "Quill Travel". I did a little research via Google and didn't find anything that really told me what exactly that is.

So two questions:

1) What is a Quill and Quill Travel?
2) Why is it desirable to have more quill travel?

I really appreciate your help in this!
Quill travel is the distance the chuck travels downward when using the drill press. The Quill block is the locking mech that you set to stop the travel at a certain depth.

The more the travel the better, I hate drilling as deep as I can and have to move the work piece up to drill deeper.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another feature of a long quill stroke is safety when loading and unloading jigs even with the motor off. The bit is far enough above the work for your hands to not get tagged by a sharp bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts