Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I posted before, I aquired a whole trailer load of old chestnut boards. I have almost no experience with wood working but I am interested in learning. I got a miter saw from a friend and decided to sell the wood so I could buy more tools. Problem is no one was interested in buy the wood so I decided to start building things and selling those to buy tools. I will post pics once things are completed and sold. My question in the mean time is I have one project that requires both sides of my boards to be visible. While the fronts of the boards look amazing the backs (I believe I heard it reffered to as rough cuts) looks grey and no matter how much I sand the wood it does not look much better. I was wondering, I don't have a planer yet but I maybe able to use a friends. If I run the boards through a planer rough side up will it come out looking nice on both sides? Any advice? sorry for no pics my cell phone busted and it will be a bit before I can take any more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info I will try to get to a planer in the next couple days. I would def say it is weather based as this wood was sitting in a barn for a very long time. We I route the rough side it takes it right off but I could not tell how a planer would look. Thanks again! Pics to come as I have built a pool cue holder, almost done with a fishing pole holder and now I am moving on to a weird fruit holder (you'll have to see it) all jobs where comissioned so I am happy!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the info guys. Right now money is really tight so I will not be buying many tools until I get cash in from these projects. Its almost 100% profit since i am getting the wood for free so I am trying to turn out as much work as possible. I am hesitant to use a hand planer as I have no experience with one so I am going to hit up my friend that owns a planer. He seems to know what he is doing so here goes nothing lol. I will be installing the pool cue holder tonight at the clients. I will make sure to get pics and upload them late tonight. I know the pool cue holder is pretty rough it was my first project ever. The fishing rod holder is starting to look amazing. I only see one mistake in the whole thing and it is pretty well hidden. Thanks again for all the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.