Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given 2 good size post oak trees. I cut the main truck up in small logs about 20 inches long. The average diameter is about 15 to 16 inches. I applied anchorseal on the fresh cut ends right after I cut them. I also stacked them off of the ground.

Should I do anything else to help preserve them?
How long will wood last in a log form?

I am planning on turning bowls with them.

Thanks
Robert

·
Sydney, Australia
196 Posts
split them down the center and remove the pith, seal the end grain and place out of the sun and wind to dry. Alternately cut into bowl blanks and rough turn to about 1" wall thickness and then dry in paper sacks or cardboard boxes

·
Dean
137 Posts
Along with green turning to one inch wall thickness I have had better luck avoiding deformation and splitting by boiling the rough turning for 20 min.
Then do the bag thing until its dry to finish turning it. Oak is very prone to cracking. A blank made left or right of the pith center in the quarter sawn area seems to work best for me.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Cover them to keep the sun and wind off of them. Then watch them closely. If they start to check you need to them into bowl blanks and start turning or cut them into spindle blanks.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
When I cut them into approximate length as you did, I go ahead and split the directly through the pith. I only anchor seal the ends but I do go about an inch over the edge on the saw cut.
If it is a smaller diameter (10" or so) I leave in long form (5-6 feet) and seal the ends, just cutting off what I want each time and resealing the end.
Stack out of sun.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm not a big fan of oak. I've got some that's been anchorsealed several times but it has still cracked on me. Oak works real good in my heater though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts