Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay fellas, I just finished a shoe storage bench for my front door. The idea was to paint and sand it to look antiqued. I have finished the painting and sanding, but need advice.

Should I seal this piece somehow? I don't want to polyurethane it as I don't think it needs that much protection. But what about a couple coats of polycrylic? Or paste wax? Or should I even bother with finishing it since the idea is to look antiqued? If I choose to not finish, how long do I need to let a water based paint cure before sitting on it and not worrying about paint coming off?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
The only reason you might need to put polycrylic over the paint is if you are unhappy with the sheen or if there are spots of raw wood showing. If the paint is dry to touch then it shouldn't come off. I would wait until the weekend before putting polycrylic over it though. If you use a satin sheen and don't put too many coats on it shouldn't affect the appearance of the paint very much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had troubles searching the forums for my own question so I'm gonna post it here.

I've painted the top part of a desk and have been using Minwax Polycrylic to finish it off and it now has about 4 coats on. My question is in regards to sanding, how much should I sand between coats of finish? I've been using 320 grit and just give the desk a few swipes with it before applying the next coat. The surface of the desk has tiny bumps which is only noticeable after sanding and I'm not sure what the cause of that is. I think it might be because I applied the paint with a roller and it dried like that. Not a big deal as it's only noticeable after sanding, but I'm just wondering if a should sand the polycrylic until the tiny bumps are gone or what. So again, how much should I sand off between coats of PC? I'm always afraid I'll sand down to the paint or something! Also, it's the top of a desk so I want it to be tough, should I switch to a polyurethane?

Thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Which type of paint did you use? How are you applying the poly? Can you take picture of the bumps? Is the table in natural lighting Enviornment?( bumps visible in low sunlight)

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
If I choose to not finish, how long do I need to let a water based paint cure before sitting on it and not worrying about paint coming off?

Thanks for the help.
Since you have painted it, let it sit for several days to a week (or more depending on its environment). If you have several coats of paint already, the last topcoat will delay the curing of what's underneath if they aren't cured, so waiting would be what I would do. No need to put a poly on top of the paint or use any wax. In the near future if it need some rehab, a light scuff sanding, and repaint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts