Woodworking Talk banner

question about drilling 361 1/8" holes

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  FrankC 
#1 ·
I'm drilling holes into a crib board I'm making and just have a quick question? Would you all just go at the spots with the drill press or would you take an all and pre punch all the holes before drilling with the drill press. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have a template?

If all you have is a paper pattern, not a drilling template, then yes, center punch the holes. If you don't the drill will wander and the holes will not be uniform. IF you plan on making more of these, make a plexi template, now rather than later using your pattern. Aluminum will work also. It's a lot of work to punch and drill them, but once you have the template, it will go much more quickly. :yes:

Reactions: Duncancruiser
#4 ·
word of mouth is powerful

Everyone who sees what a great job you did will want one.... just sayin' :thumbsup:

Make a "template" while you're at it and then make a "profit" by selling them to.... :blink: all her friends? all her father's friends? all your friends? see where I'm goin' with this? :laughing:

#5 ·
I completely understand. If I do get more orders I'll get my father in law to make me a couple different templates. He's a machinist and welder. I just don't know how much fun it'll be drilling all these holes. Thanks for the input. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

#9 ·
Looks like the cribbage "tracks" are already installed.

I have made two cribbage boards. This first board I marked the holes with an awl and moved the board by hand to position the drill over the awl mark. I was not as consistent as I wanted.

Rectangle Metal

After I showed this to my colleagues, I was asked to make another one.

This time I made a template in a piece of scrap particle board. I felt that even if the holes are not exactly equally spaced, at least I can make each row of holes the same.

I clamped the board to the template, which had a nail in the hole to be drilled. I moved the nail, moved the board to the nail, drilled the next hole, etc. The time spent to make the template was worth it. Much faster to drill all the holes in the board.

This is the second board, this picture is the board unfinished.

Wood Molding Carving Floor

#13 ·
Making a fence for this project should be easy.

A piece of plywood of appropriate size to support the board. Screw or glue a piece of e.g., 3/4in wide plywood on a side. Clamp this to the drill press table so the 3/4in piece is toward the drill press column. You now have a fence.

With another piece of plywood for a base, also sized to support the board - this time in each orientation so that the row of hole will be parallel to the fence.

Screw scraps of wood/plywood on the base to hold the board in desired orientation. You will need to re-screw the scraps as you rotate the board. This should be set for the inner most row of holes.

Rip another piece of scrap to put behind the base as a spacer to get the second, outer, row of holes.

Let me know if the suggestion is not clear.

#14 · (Edited)
agreed!

A simple fence and 2 spacers is all you need.
You align the fence to drill the column of holes closest to you first.
Next, you add a spacer behind the work in between the fence, the distance the holes are away from the first column, for the second column.
Then you add another spacer the same width behind the first one, stacking them together.

A practice piece the same width as your board will show you what to expect.

You can make a small drilling guide with 5 or so holes that are precisely the correct spacing in the column. The drill your first hole, insert a pin and then that will register it for the next holes. You can drill as many holes with the guide as you need by moving the reference pin each time. The fence will locate them foer and aft and the guide will determine the spacing between each hole.

Rows are three across, columns run the length of the board... just my definition.

#16 ·
I think you should consider making a template because like has been said, if you build it they will come!

Make a "template" while you're at it and then make a "profit" by selling them to.... :blink: all her friends? all her father's friends? all your friends? see where I'm goin' with this? :laughing:
And their friends are on Facebook, and their friends, and their friends!

I don't even have to advertise, just post a pic of something I have made...and away we go! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.