Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a cart/dolly for my 6 foot fold up tables so I can easily roll them in and out of a closet in my shop. Something similar to the picture below. The commercial ones are too wide to fit though so I need to build one. I'm good on the frame at the bottom and plan to build it out of 2x4's and just add some 3 inch casters. I need some help figuring out the rails though. I'm thinking about 1/2 or 3/4 inch metal pipe but I don't have a pipe threader and I know I won't get exact right size pieces from a box store. Still may work something out and go that route though. My question is how do I attach the metal pipe to the wood frame?

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
It's pretty difficult to make something like that out of wood and have it hold up. Even if you make the base out of wood I would make the verticle part of it out of tublar steel like shown in the picture. Another option would be to use 3/4" pipe for the top parts. You could use a floor flange to attach it to the base.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Most rental center rent pipe threaders. I would thread pipe and get screw on flanges that can be screwed or bolted to the base.
Tom

·
Registered
470 Posts
You could make it look real neat if you made your own screw flanges and fastened them to the bottom with the pipe coupling coming up through the floor boards via a hole provided.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have a couple of those folding tables and they are pretty heavy. Folded up they are 30 x 30 I believe. I use a heavy duty four wheel hand truck I found at Sam's Club a few years ago. I added a 1/2" plywood bed to it and covered it with carpet. The tables fit perfectly if I lay them down.

However, it might not work for you if the door opening is less than 30 inches. I used the cart to tote the tables, and other stuff in and out of schools to set up my sports photography events.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts