Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a project in mind, but one little part is nagging me a little, and could use some advice.

I have twin 9-year old girls, and they want loft beds which are not attached to the wall - kid of like bunk beds, without the lower bunk, and the mattress height at a level right about midway between a traditional upper and lower bunk.

They also have frequent sleepovers, and I wanted to go one step further with the beds, and give each bed a removable handrail that would swing out and attach to the other bed, and along with a couple more rails that would bridge the gap between beds, would support a third twin mattress that would make it one BIG bed that would sleep my two girls plus 1 or 2 more.

I can visualize the construction of the beds, but I need to consider support for the middle mattress. I will most likely have a thin plywood sheet attached to support rails for the main beds, but I really don't want to fool with the same for the middle, that will require a bunch of parts - mattress, plywood sheet, support rails - to be stored when the middle is not used.

Is there such a thing as a twin mattress that has a support structure built into it? With that, I could use just the movable side rails of the main beds and a couple other rails, and just put the mattress tight on top.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes cabinetman, the beds will have legs, most likely 2x4s or a 2x4 and a 2x6 in an "L" shaped leg. The beds will be parallel to each other, and I want them to be spaced about 1 twin bed width apart, for the third mattress to fit snugly between the other two, and yeah, I can store the third mattress when it is not used.

My major conundrum is supporting the third mattress when it is in place, without having to use the plywood base.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hadn't thought about storing the plywood under the two main beds...

This middle 'bed' will have to support at most 60-70 pounds, the typical 9-10 year old girl.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great!

This is a rough sketch, for sure. I only have the mattress dimensions, just wanted to see if this is a do-able project, before I invest a whole lot of time into design.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.