Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Why the second air dry? The narrower is no good. WO bows especially Qtr sawn. My schedule- 3 months air, 3.5-4 weeks in kiln. First few days temp at 95 with exhaust to 40% . Once the depreciation is at a 5 close it, 2 days to let it equalize. Then continue on. Last two day it needs to condition again at 0 exhaust /140temp . Use fluted stickers. The slower the dry the better.

Boiler runs 365 days a year heats kilns and shop with my scrap.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well I take an extra step. Off the mill in enters shop, defected and cut to length. Stickering every 12", waxing the ends. About 7 hours to do 1000 bf. but the defecting gives much better results before it's kilned. Also cause you have 2 straight edges to work with. You need large trees to do qtr sawn and have it be worth the while. Quite a bit of waste and 8x8 in center, (4x4 if flat sawn). It all depends on sap ring. I use the Doyle log rule and each tree is different. Until it hits the mill you never know what you'll find. So many times a beautiful log will give you mediocre lumber. All depends on what happened to that tree as it grew up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.