Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a furniture factory in Romania.
But at this moment we are currently buying all of our oak with full truck loads of quartersawn oak A-quality. Dried to 6%-7% humidity.

But we are thinking of sawing our own logs in a few years. For this we would buy fresh cut oak logs in the Ukraine or Croatia.
They must be cut around february "because there is less sapwood then". and minimum diameter 50cm.

But does anyone know how much waste you have in general when cutting quartersawn oak. only a-quality
and when cutting rift sawn oak. only a-quality

And if someone has an idea of how long it takes to cut this aswell. m³-wise.

If we are going to do this, we would be buying around 500 m³ of logs every year. But we would need atleast 125m³ of A-quality wood out of this "rift sawn" and ofcourse around 100m³ of b-grade wood. "for making the backs & shelves" All the waste will be used for heating the factory.
Is this even possible?

And after sawing we would stack it up with stickers "the complete boards", and then let it dry for around 6 months in the air. Then we would saw it in smaller boards and let it dry again for around 4 months. again air drying. Ofcourse all of this will be covered from the rain ...
And then KD

Already thank you!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Why the second air dry? The narrower is no good. WO bows especially Qtr sawn. My schedule- 3 months air, 3.5-4 weeks in kiln. First few days temp at 95 with exhaust to 40% . Once the depreciation is at a 5 close it, 2 days to let it equalize. Then continue on. Last two day it needs to condition again at 0 exhaust /140temp . Use fluted stickers. The slower the dry the better.

Boiler runs 365 days a year heats kilns and shop with my scrap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why the second air dry? The narrower is no good. WO bows especially Qtr sawn. My schedule- 3 months air, 3.5-4 weeks in kiln. First few days temp at 95 with exhaust to 40% . Once the depreciation is at a 5 close it, 2 days to let it equalize. Then continue on. Last two day it needs to condition again at 0 exhaust /140temp . Use fluted stickers. The slower the dry the better.

Do you saw the wood yourself?
Do you have any idea of how long it takes to saw everything + stack it up.
And how much waste do you generally have?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well I take an extra step. Off the mill in enters shop, defected and cut to length. Stickering every 12", waxing the ends. About 7 hours to do 1000 bf. but the defecting gives much better results before it's kilned. Also cause you have 2 straight edges to work with. You need large trees to do qtr sawn and have it be worth the while. Quite a bit of waste and 8x8 in center, (4x4 if flat sawn). It all depends on sap ring. I use the Doyle log rule and each tree is different. Until it hits the mill you never know what you'll find. So many times a beautiful log will give you mediocre lumber. All depends on what happened to that tree as it grew up.

·
Registered
205 Posts

For the benefit of a fellow european : these temperatures are °F I presume ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts