Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just because the oak was here and I had some old pieces of barn beams - also qs oak. Bowties are wenge. Legs splayed at 15 degrees. Legs were hand tapered with a stanley 5 and 65.

There were some serious voids and bark inclusions in part of the top which I filled with 2 part epoxy. That part came out way more bubbly than I wanted. I used a lighter to get the bubbles out as I poured in layer after layer.

Any advice on getting all the bubbles out???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm not always a big fan of bow ties, but I got to give it to you, I really like the table!

The uniformity/spacing and color of the ties along with the gap really make the top unique.

Nicely done!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tool box lid is rockin.

i like this table very much but you don't see a lot of live edge oak I think because its too blonde for peoples tastes. kind of like McCobb and Heywood Wakefield, the latter really isn't of interest to most people right now.

dark woods like walnut, teak, brown oak - those are really where people who like what we do are.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
If the bubbles are in the epoxy and it's dried. you're going to have to live with it.
The removal is done with a propane torch, during drying. Generally within the 1st 15 minutes and again at about the 45 minute point. It's a judgment call when playing with it.

Never pour epoxy in more than 1/8th inch layers.

Beautiful wood/design.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
If the bubbles are in the epoxy and it's dried. you're going to have to live with it.
The removal is done with a propane torch, during drying. Generally within the 1st 15 minutes and again at about the 45 minute point. It's a judgment call when playing with it.

Never pour epoxy in more than 1/8th inch layers.

Beautiful wood/design.
Personally, I have had more trouble with air bubbles with faster drying epoxies. Longer open times for the glue must allow the bubbles more time to escape.

If you are unsatisfied with the epoxy fill, you could (theoretically) use a small router and remove what is there. I suspect, however, that the edge wouldn't be seamless when you tried to re-fill it. I've never tried this, so i can't speak from experience--though it does sound tedious. I know that there is opaque black epoxy as well. Again, I haven't used this so I can't speak to how effective it is or how it looks. It seems to me that opaque epoxy would have fewer visible air bubbles in the finished product.

Bubbles or not, I am still really into this table. If the dark wood snobs of the world don't appreciate, I can look after it for you :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.