Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some push sticks yesterday and painted them today. I used an old hand saw handle for the pattern.

Now they should be easier to find if I lay them down.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Very nice! :thumbsup:

I would call those push blocks/shoes.
They are not push sticks, which I consider dangerous. :smile:
Yes - very nice indeed - I like those very much, especially the longer nosed one...

mdntrdr - I'm assuming by "...push sticks, which I consider dangerous" you are referring to the commercially marketed sticks that fit on the end of the board only. Those so called sticks are dangerous because they only apply pressure on the feed end of the boards which tend to raise the feed ends of the boards (dangerous indeed). I like the sticks with long noses. Here is a picture of my stick

Attachments

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
mdntrdr - I'm assuming by "...push sticks, which I consider dangerous" you are referring to the commercially marketed sticks that fit on the end of the board only.

Yes, I am referring to these... :thumbdown:

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Those are nice, although personally the colour is a little loud. I need to make some long nose push blocks like this, I only use sticks and I see why they can be a hazard in a lot of ways.

·
Banned
6 Posts
My push stick broke the other day. Never had that happen before. I ll never have another pine push stick again.

Those push blocks look great. Good idea about the colour.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally finished my shop cleanup, and straightening up, and decided I needed more push stick/blocks, so made two more. No need to post picks, the look the same. Paint in the am.

Now I can get to making more sawdust and getting the shop messy again, but plan on cleaning as I go or leave the shop, whatever the case may be.

First off is to finish the spice rack I started back in Dec. Then start making some smaller cedar boxes and cutting boards etc. .

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Nice patterns. I have been using 2 push sticks. One to "push" the other to hold the piece down. I think I'll use your patterns to make a few myself. Thanks for the post. :yes:

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Push sticks/pads whatever you call them....

There are a couple of things to consider.
1 ~ They are devices that are INTENDED to come in contact with the blade. Don't worry about it. Making new ones is far cheaper than the co-pay at the ER.
2 ~ I feel very uncomfortable using narrow sticks/pads. The 3/4" width seems too narrow for my comfort. As I'm pushing sometimes the narrow ones tend to wobble. My preference is a minimum of 1-1/2" width.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like the saw handle designs. I bought I think is called "Big Hands". Love that I can hold it high, and the heel is adjustable for wood thickness. I want to make my own version that holds a pencil since I can never find one of the many I have somewhere.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
We woodworkers all have our preferences and who is to say my push sticks are better then yours... The above sticks in post #4 is the type I prefer - one is in the scrap pile after lots of cuts into it. The new one is made of 1/2 inch plywood because the old one (3/4 pine) always got chewed up when ripping narrow stock. My goal is to use the stick to safely push my stock through rip cuts. To avoid kick-back, I need to keep the stock from lifting as it exits the blade and I also need to keep the stock firm against the fence. The long nose design does this for me - the wobble isn't an issue for me.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Obviously I need to make some of these. My push stick is just a 2 inch wide stick. I did feather the end I use for pushing but that's it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts