Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've always read that purpleheart loses the purple color as it ages and oxidizes. I just turned a piece that was bright purple before I started. As I turned it, I thought it would get more purple as I exposed fresh wood, but it got less purple. Will it get any more purple if I let it sit for a while?

·
7,222 Posts
Purpleheart will become a dull brown/purple colour when new surface is exposed, either by turning, cutting or sanding.

Exposure of this surface to UV will soon return the bright purple colour within a day or so.

However, over time, the UV exposure will again result in an eventual dull brown/purple colour.

It is nature. Most species oxidize with exposure to UV resulting in becoming darker, or less pronounced colour.

I love purple heart and have experienced the various colour changes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have had the same problem when making cutting boards. I just let it sit for a day before oiling the board and it seems to come back. Also lighting plays with the color you see. If you are looking at it under a incandescent light, it looks that dark color, almost like walnut. If you put it under true natural sun light or under an ott light (full-spectrum) it sure looks purple.

Eric

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW! What are the optimum number of days

Wowie Zowie! I put the piece in front of a window for two days now and the purple is back! The window faces due east, so I'm rotating it each day. Question is, what are the optimum number of days to leave it in the sun? Anybody know?

·
7,222 Posts
I do not know and optimum. Not long.

I do not bother exposing to direct sunlight. Even in my shop it will eventually turn purple.

I just work on my project as normal, and before I am ready to send it off the purple colour will be back.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I just work on my project as normal, and before I am ready to send it off the purple colour will be back."

So, are you saying even with finish on it the purple returns?

·
7,222 Posts
"I just work on my project as normal, and before I am ready to send it off the purple colour will be back."

So, are you saying even with finish on it the purple returns?
Yes, as long as the finish will allow UV to penetrate, which is just about everything other than paint. :icon_smile:

If you happened to use a finish with UV inhibitors, like an external spar poly, then it would take longer, but still some UV will get through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts