Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I making another end grain cutting board. I'll be using Maple, Walnut, and Purpleheart. The end grain of the Purpleheart looks a lot like the end grain of the Walnut, right after it is cut. But the same happens when I plain the Purpleheart. Then it slowly goes back to looking purple. Has any one else experienced this? I hope I'm not crazy. I also hope that the end grain turns purple.

Wood Furniture Wood stain Table Plywood
Wood Workbench Furniture Table Room

Eric Williams

·
Registered
157 Posts
I made a few cutting boards for gifts and it took about 4-5 days for the purple to come out and be noticeable. One of the cutting boards is at my brother in laws and now that its been a few months it very purple. Just takes time. In fact when turning pens with Purple Heart, I try and wait for about a month before I put a finish on them. It seems to allow them to get a richer color purple.

·
7,222 Posts
Purpleheart is brown when sanded or planed or any time you expose new surface to the atmosphere.

Once exposed the surface will turn to purple with exposure to UV, and with enough exposure the purple will become a dark brown/purple.

End grain purpleheart after sanding will become purple. However once you apply any finish on end grain purpleheart it will become a very dark purple, perhaps darker than you desire. It is the nature of the beast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts