Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had a problem with purpleheart turning brown on them? Any remedies? Here's the story...

This morning I'm turning a purpleheart pen blank and as I'm turning I notice it's becoming a dull purple color. No big deal cause I'm confident the finish (CA glue) will bring the purple tones back out.

Well I begin to sand and realize the blank keeps getting brownish. By the time I'm done the blank is brown. I was using the rolls of woodturner's sandpaper from Woodcraft (brown color) to sand. Possibly cause? I'm attempting to post pictures. This normal?

Product Wood Rectangle Material property Leather

Turquoise Copper Table Wood Turquoise

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Friction apparently also caused it to turn purple. I was turning some this morning and it's really brown except for areas where I rubbed the bevel too long or hard. Those are purple. A little sanding made the whole thing brown again.
what I usually do is set my purple heart hand mirrors out in the window for a day to really pick up the purple color.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.