Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished this one today. It's the last one I'll make before heading to Texas to visit my son and do a couple of Demo's. One is in Kerryville, and the other 2 are at SWAT in Waco. If your in the area stop in and say hi.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3/8". I have a drill bit and open end wrench that I checked to be accurate and use those for the hole in the mirror body and to thickness the tenon. They stay together in my lathe tool box as a matching set.
However if it's a wood that is really weak or has grain runout that could lead to breakage I predrill the end and insert a 3/16" steel rod about 2 inches into the end. Sometimes I'll do this before turning and grip the rod as my drive center. Sometimes if I'm brave I'll drill it afterwords on the drill press with a special jig I made to hold the handles.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I really like purple heart, that is a beautiful mirror.

I always have a problem with purple heart especially when I try to buff it with the beall system. The white powder gets in the grain and is difficult to remove.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob Skip white. I went from tripoli to the wax on this one. With light woods you can sometimes skip the tripoli because it will leave a dark residue.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
john lucas said:
at SWAT in Waco.
I've heard that show is better and more recommended than the AAW National Show. Of of our club members (Les Casteel) is presenting there as well. His site is www.WoodThatRocks.com

Good luck at your shows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
john lucas said:
Finished this one today. It's the last one I'll make before heading to Texas to visit my son and do a couple of Demo's. One is in Kerryville, and the other 2 are at SWAT in Waco. If your in the area stop in and say hi.
Beautiful wood and details!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts