Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I work in the shop, the drill bit container starts to get sparse as smaller bits break over time. I would like to purchase replacement bits without buying sets full of bits I don't need. Who can suggest some online suppliers of regular twist type drill bits? I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Go to your local fastenal.....they've got bins with every size you could want and fairly inexpensively for good bits too

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Thanks Ryan,

I'd never heard of Fastenal.

There's one very close to my home.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Reactions: jharris2

·
Registered
679 Posts
Good advice on Fastenal. Also check if you have a True Value Hardware in your area, they sell individuals.

·
John
3,028 Posts
My Home Depot sells Milwaukee and deWalt bits in shrink wrapped packages of 1 or two bits. Usually two bits in a pack in sizes of 1/8" or less. With the judicious application of a box cutter, I can get one bit out without compromising the shrink wrap to much and throw the second bit in a toolbox I keep for spare bits. I usually go with the Milwaukee bits because most of the deWalts' come with a pilot tip and don't sharpen well on my Drill Doctor. ACE hardware is also a pretty good source. I don't think I would want to buy drill bits from a loose stock inventory. The carded, shrink wrapped ones would seem to me to be better protected.
I associate Fastenal with quality and availability but not on good prices. The ones around me tend to be a little spendy.:smile:

Reactions: jharris2

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
I've been pleasantly surprised on fastenal quality. I was working a project where drilling hundreds of small holes through 3/8 structural steel was required. I started with carded drill bits from a big box store....their top of the line titanium bits. I wasn't getting through 3-4 holes before bits were either dull or snapped off. Finally I had bought all they had in stock, so I ran to fastenal to get some bits, for about .50 more per bit, the guy sold me 6 bits...told me if I needed more to call. I don't know what brand they were...but I was getting 20 or more holes before the bits dulled.

They aren't the cheapest....but they have everything and the quality has been good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts