Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Exactly what he said. I use thin CA on small areas. I soak larger areas with Lacquer thinner. Usually before I do that I use a tool with an edge that is sharpened at a sharper angle if I can.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
One other alternative I have not tried but quite a few others have. Soak it in diluted white glue. Dilute the glue 50/50 with water, soak the bowl for an hour and then let it dry overnight. I'm told it works, just never tried it because I always have lacquer on hand and it dries in 10 or 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I do like the others but used thinned shellac (1 pt shellac to 2-3 parts DNA). I don't use lacquer much so I don't know what will go on top of it, maybe anything(?). Almost anything will go on top of shellac with no problem.
Even thinning it only soaks in 1/8" or so. You may need to apply additional coats as you continue turning.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Punky wood

Tyler, I turn a lot of spalted big leaf maple. I have used thinned lacquer, immersing the blank in a five gallon bucket with a hole that fits my shop vac hose drilled in the lid. I let the vac run for about five to ten minutes. Let it dry overnight and it turns a lot better. Also, I have lately been turning to a rough shape and then starting with 60 grit running through 250 grit and getting a nice finish. For the inside and bottom it really helps to have a Woodriver 2" bowl sander, or the like. Good luck and post pics...ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.