Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife pulled a Maple quilt rack out of a dumpster the other day and gave me the task of fixing it. I have it about done, but need to find a way to pull some of the wooden plugs covering screws that need to be tightened. Some of them are set at the right depth, and some of them are pushed in to far. I do not believe any of them are glued. Any suggestions on how to remove them preferably without tearing them up as I do not want to refinish this piece as it does not need it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It sounds like you are trying to re-use the same plugs? You might try hot gluing an unfinished 1/4" dowel to them and trying to pull them out. If that isn't strong enough try epoxy. With epoxy you'll have to wax around the outside of the plug pretty thick to keep it from messing up.

If you aren't trying to save the plugs #9 in the list here is how I remove plugs without destroying the hole.

http://www.miterclamp.com/Woodworking_video_index.htm

Have fun.

Jim

·
Registered
803 Posts
:lol:That was HILARIOUS!!!!!!! I was gonna suggest the same thing!!!
Although I always run the plug cutter in reverse first...just to get it started.

"You whimp..." You should take that act on the road!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heat?

You might try heating the plugs with a hair dryer or heat gun to see if you can shrink them and the surrounding wood a bit.

Best,

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts