Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you pull those tough nails out? Esp those with missing / stripped heads. Is there a tool that grabs onto the shank for pulling?
I've done an internet search & can't find anything suitable. I've tryed everything at the BORG too, no luck.

·
where's my table saw?
27,749 Posts
I use a Vise Grips

Or a large Channelocks when the head has pulled off.The Leverage is increased by rocking on the jaw like a claw hammer. If you can get about 1/2" bent over the rip hammer or claw hammer can be engaged from the side and pulled out sort of side ways. I use a cat's paw or a nail retriever Japanese style, to get under the head real good. I pulled as many as I've sunk.:blink: bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
New tool just won awards at the hardware show!

Just check out the Nail Jack or the Nail Hunter, designed from the ground up just for this scenario. Nothing better.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks axxman, ordered the 11" Nail Jack. That looks like what I''ve been looking for as it is designed specificially to grip the shank of the nail.
I previously looked at the Cresent nail puller but it didn't look like it was designed to grip the shank of the nail & it also looks like it needs the head on to work. It was a bit pricey & wasn't quite sure how it works either.
Thanks again for all your responses.
I will post a reply when I have tryed it out. I have some salvaged pallet material that is pretty nice hard maple. These nails were put in green with an air nailer. Now the wood has shrunk around the nail, so they will be tough to pull out. So..... I guess I'll see if this Nail Jack works as well as advertised... :yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts