Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using water base stains and dyes made from general, when I apply first coat of water base urethane from Vermont natural coatings , seams to pull stain at times ? any suggetions ?

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
I'm not familiar with the products you are using but it sounds like you have too much pigment laying on the surface. If you are brushing the finish and pigment is laying on the surface the brush will rub it off. Sometimes this can cause the finish not to adhere. It would be like using an oil stain and not wiping it off. The finish would adhere to the stain instead of the wood and flake off. If you are going to use that much dye it would be better to mix it with the finish so it would bond better.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
How are you applying your finish, brush or spray?

The best way to prevent this is to use a different solvent base sealer than your stain. If you are using water based stain then seal with a wash coat of alcohol based shellac. Then you can scuff sand and apply your water based coating with no problems.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stain pulling

How are you applying your finish, brush or spray?

The best way to prevent this is to use a different solvent base sealer than your stain. If you are using water based stain then seal with a wash coat of alcohol based shellac. Then you can scuff sand and apply your water based coating with no problems.

I apply with a foam brush and wipe excess right away to prevent over lap marks and let dry , then when putting water base finish on pulls stain , you think I should put a dewaxed shellac over stain then proceed with water base finish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts