Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time for a router (and dust collector). Right now I am seriously looking at putting a router table on the right side of the Saw Stop by using this system...

http://www.incra.com/product_tsf_tslsjoinery.htm

I know I will have to get another set of legs for the right side of the table and will probably get the router lift, too.

My main question is will this be a good plan, will the router table be as usable as a stand alone table, will the table have too much flex, and will it make the TS too busy? I know I will have do drop either the TS blade or router bits depending on what I am doing and am fine with that until I can build me another house. I tried searching to no avail to see if this had been previously covered. Thanks in advance.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
There is nothing wrong with what you're considering. But building a router table on a cabinet will give you good experience and save money.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I agree with Rich. What you are thinking of doing is very doable, but I would think hard about just building yourself a stand alone router table.
Once you start introducing a lift and a router that would probably live in the lift you have to figure in weight and sag. But not knowing what kind of router you are wanting to use I can't really say how much weight would be a factor.
I have a woodpecker lift and I'm using the PC 7518 router which is very heavy. I love my router table and use it a lot.
Good luck!

·
John
3,028 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I a am looking at the 7518 or 7519 Bosch.
Hi JJ - Most I have conversed with incorporate the router with the table saw due to space considerations. Lowering the bit or the blade dependent on which operation is currently required doesn't seem to be a big issue until MURPHY pays you a visit. He is a regular visitor at my place anyway. The rub occurs when during say, a router operation, a new piece is needed to be cut. Then, the router setups need to be dismantled, table saw setup, piece cut and router table reset up. I don't know if the LS system would alleviate or aggravate this situation but thought to mention it for consideration.
Also, in choosing a router, there are now several in the 3+ HP range that incorporate built in lift devices negating the need for third party lifts and the associated expense. Three that come to mind are the Freud 3000, Triton TRA001 and the Milwaukee 5625. All three are well regarded on most forums I follow and the Triton a little above the rest as it was designed specifically for table use and provides for excellent dust collection at the collet. Personally, I have the Freud 3000 and have been happy with it.
Good Luck:smile:

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
I have a TS mounter router in a lift

It is time for a router (and dust collector). Right now I am seriously looking at putting a router table on the right side of the Saw Stop by using this system...

http://www.incra.com/product_tsf_tslsjoinery.htm

I know I will have to get another set of legs for the right side of the table and will probably get the router lift, too.

My main question is will this be a good plan, will the router table be as usable as a stand alone table, will the table have too much flex, and will it make the TS too busy? I know I will have do drop either the TS blade or router bits depending on what I am doing and am fine with that until I can build me another house. I tried searching to no avail to see if this had been previously covered. Thanks in advance.
Bench Dog Tools 40-102 ProMax Cast Iron Router Table Extension - Amazon.com
I would hold off in the Incra system for now. Get a good lift and a simple fence. I have the Bench Dog Pro extension table above, but there are others that measure 27" front to back. I don't know if the Saw Stop is 27"...? Check out this site for cast iron extension tables, plates and router table fences. http://www.ptreeusa.com/router_list.htm

What you don't want is to tie up your tablesaw fence to use the router table, it needs a separate fence. You also don't want to have a router fence all setup and have to disassemble it because you need to rip another piece of stock. Usually that won't be an issue because the narrow stock will fit between the 2 fences... but not always.
I use my router extension table as the "go to" system, although I have a free standing router table also. I have a JessEm Mast R Lift 2 which I really like because it has a locking height adjustment. :thumbsup:

The whole set up including the extension table and 3 saws:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts