Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a router table built into the right wing of my table saw; and use it as a work table. Occasionally something spills on it and I don't get a chance to clean it up right away.
Today I cleaned all the crap off with acetone, but would like to do something to make it easier in the future.
The table is formica (or something like that) and the router insert is aluminum.

I was thinking maybe some shellac, as I rarely use anything alcohol based. Or maybe BoeShield?

What do you think?

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
Sounds like you need a work bench to keep your messy stuff on or put a plastic drop cloth on the saw when you are working with paints and glues. You really don't want to put a finish over formica. It will peal off and cause you more headache. I think I would have to agree with George and just use paste wax.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
If you have to use your table saw for a work surface maybe think bout making a top for it, something cheap like some 1/2" ply.
Just a thought. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't use chemical products; but you could use a transparent plastic or glass cover. If you don't fix it to the table and instead keep it loose, you yould just remove it for cleaning next time

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I frequently use my table saw and outfeed table (Formica) for assembly and finishing.

I don't have room to store a hard cover.

I keep a sheet of this cut to size and rolled up in a cardboard shipping tube.

0007325700943_300X300.jpg

I use the same sheet multiple times.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't usually cover my granite top saw either....and use it for assembly/general work all the time. If I'm using oil or paint I'll throw a 3 mil trash bag over it but that's it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts