Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm brand new here and I thought I would run this by you guys. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated as I'm really stuck on this one.

We have wood deck railing posts that are badly cracking from exposure to the sun and elements. I was told the wood is pressure treated pine and are only about 4 years old. The posts have been annually treated with Sikkens Cetol. In many cases the cracks go all the way down into the posts.

One contractor told me that cracking should stop but the post cracks are getting worse. So I'm looking at covering the tops with copper or any other solution that might prevent water from entering at the top of the post.

Covering these pyramid tops with copper won't be very easy or inexpensive (there are about 12 posts). I'm also thinking of cutting off the pyramid tops flat and then covering with copper. I'm not really sure how I can get a good square cut on the posts either, given that they are at least 6 x 6.

Can you think of anything else I can do with this problem? See attached pictures of a post tops. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
If it were me I would mix a universal tinting color to bondo to match the color and fill them with that. Then it can be sanded off and finished with the same finish you have on the deck. You could take a small can of bondo or put some bondo in a jar and mix the colorant to it and then add hardener to it as you use it. Kept sealed the shelf life will be the same as the bondo untinted. The color just needs to be a little less red to allow for the red hardener. Like anything else it won't last forever. You just may have to do this annually. It would help it last if the wood was kept up real well with a weather treatment. The cracks are as much from the wood getting wet as the sun exposure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. Which Bondo are you referring to? Wood Solutions? I'm not familiar with these products and I noticed there are quite a few. I think I need something to fill the large cracks, then something that would be able to penetrate the fine cracks as well.

·
Banned
310 Posts
My experience with any kind of filler has not been good due to the ambient moisture causing the wood to shrink and expand. I have had more success with capping posts with a treated hardwood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts